"You've been very obedient so far Seventeen. I'm very proud of you. It makes everything much easier," He says. I don't smile. 

"How old am I?" I ask, out of the blue. He raises his eyebrows.

"You are seventeen. Funny, isn't it?" He says. I don't laugh, but it feels nice to know something about myself. 

"Are you going to shave my head?" I ask. 

"Full of questions today, are we?" He says. I await the answer. "We'll see," He adds. I bite my lip and lean back against my seat. 

"Anyways, let us get started." He says. He looks to the door and I realize for the first time that there are two people standing guard against it. One of them is familiar. It's Peter. Papa beckons with his head and Peter comes over, holding a helmet. It's similar to the one I had yesterday. Once again he moves the hair out of my face and places the helmet on my head. He clips it under my chin and I watch his retreating back as he takes his position next to the door. 

"We're going to try something new today. Power isn't just physical, Seventeen. It's mental, too." He explains. I slightly tilt my head, recalling what Four said earlier. Papa takes a photo out of his pocket and slides it across the table. I look down at it. It's Two. 

"I want you to find him," He says. I furrow my eyebrows.

"How?" I ask. Papa smiles.

"Focus on him and close your eyes. Just search through your mind. I believe you can do this."

I take in another breath. I look once more at the photo, studying his features. After I'm sure I have his face locked in my mind, I close my eyes.

"Where is he, Seventeen?" Papa asks again. I wish I could yell at him to be quiet. I focus. His face is in my mind and I search for him. There's a strange sensation and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this. I'm almost about to give up when I get a glimpse of something.

"Come on Three, Elevens an idiot. We can take her if she ever tries something like that again." He is saying. I hear it in my mind. He's in the rainbow room, in the same corner I left them in. 

"I found him," I say. 

"What is he doing?" Papa asks.

"He's in the rainbow room. Talking to Three," I reply. 

"What are they saying?" Papa asks again. I focus harder.

"They're talking about Eleven," I respond. 

"Thank you Seventeen, you can stop now," Papa says. I open my eyes and am quickly brought back to the real world. The light is slightly blinding and I look at Papa. He is furiously scribbling notes and he looks surprised. He looks up suddenly and gestures to someone. Before I know it Peter's hand is under my chin again as he unclips the helmet. It's off my head and Peter is leading me out of the room.

"What about Papa?" I ask. Peter shakes his head as he starts walking. I have to take brisk steps to keep up with his long legs. 

"He's busy. Would you like to go back to the rainbow room?" Peter asks. He looks at me, awaiting an answer. The truth is I haven't heard a word he has said.