Chapter 10: Emergence

If someone would've told me 2 nights ago, that I would be the new leader at Grady Memorial, I would've called them crazy. I never thought things would go the way that they did, thrusting me into this new role, but I have embraced it. I sit in my new office, still cluttered with the belongings of its previous occupant. As I'm visualizing how I want to rearrange the office, there's a knock at the door.

"Come in," I invite whoever it may be.

"Good morning ma'am," Licari says as he enters my office with 2 coffees.

He places a coffee down on my desk, and sits in a chair and sips the other.

"2 creams, 1 sugar. Just how you like it," he announces.

"Thank you," I say with a smile.

I can get used to this.

"That was a hell of a thing you did for us last night. You saved all of our lives," Licari strokes my ego.

"That was yesterday. I'm still trying to wipe the memory from my head. Today is a new day, and the start of our new beginning," I move on.

I take a seat in the chair behind the desk and begin to drink the coffee that Licari brought me. As I sit in the chair, I can't help but think that I'm not supposed to be the one sitting here. This was supposed to be Bob's new position. It all feels very surreal. I went from an ordinary officer to leader overnight. I shake my guilt and steer my focus towards improving my group.

There is a lot of work to be done. Our previous system of operations was a failure. Our numbers are at an all time low. We need a new plan. We need new people.

"Could you tell everyone to meet me in the cafeteria please?" I instruct Licari.

Licari nods his head and exits my office.

I take a few minutes to let it all sink in. I tell myself to make sure to stay professional, confident, and in control of any and all situations. I'm not in a position where I can be indecisive or content with misbehavior anymore, because all of the consequences will now fall on me.

Once I get into the right state of mind, I leave my office and make my way over to the cafeteria. I step inside to see Licari, Tanaka, Alvarado, Bello, McGinley, Franco, and Dr. Edwards are all seated.

"I guess this is everyone then?" I ask rhetorically.

The officers look around at each other, then back at me. Some of them hang their heads, looking exhausted.

"Okay then. First I'd like to address our lack of food, supplies, and people. Licari, Alvarado. You 2 will patrol the immediate area, take down any rotters, and report to me anything out of the ordinary," I begin.

"Okay, but I'm driving," Licari tells Alvarado.

The room fills with light hearted laughter as Alvarado nods in agreement.

"Tanaka and Bello. You 2 will be our new welcome wagon. I want you to take a car out of Atlanta and offer refuge to anyone you may happen to come across," I start.

"You sure that's a good idea? We shouldn't just invite random people in. We live here," Bello says.

"Well of course I'd expect you to use caution. If you think someone is a potential threat, I wouldn't want you to offer anything to them. On the other hand though, if you come across wounded survivors I want you to help them. We have a doctor. I'm sure he wants to practice his craft, isn't that right Dr. Edwards?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure," he answers.

"Good. McGinley, Franco. You 2 will be our scavengers. You'll be looking for supplies. Food, clothes, tools, weapons, things like that. You can handle that?"

"Yes ma'am," Franco replies.

"Now that everyone knows what they'll be doing in the day, let's talk about night. Once everyone is back in the hospital and accounted for, we will begin watch shifts. 3 people at a time, I don't care who but we need 3. 2 on the roof, and 1 in the building. 4 hour shifts, then switch with the other 3. Any questions?" I ask.

The room sits in silence.

"Good. We'll start tomorrow. Everyone get some rest today, I know you all must be tired. We'll start our duties at first sunlight. If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office," I conclude before excusing myself from the cafeteria.

Inside my office I sit at my desk and think about all of the recent events, and what I can do to reverse the effects caused by them. It's not going to be easy, but I'm prepared to bring honor and respect back to Grady Memorial. I start to feel my eyes grow heavy. It's been a few days since I've slept. Now is as good of a time as any to get some rest, I decide. I make my way to an empty patients room and lay down on a bed, quickly falling asleep.

It's better than out there.

I'm taking anyone back there who wants to leave.

It was just about her.

If you want to come with us, just step forward now.

We're surviving here.

You can stay.

It's over.

Stand down.

No!

I wake up trying to piece together my foggy, scattered dream. It felt familiar, but it all happened out of place. Before I can figure it out, I hear my radio go off.

"We have an unconscious blonde woman on the side of the road. What do you want us to do with her?" Tanaka asks.

"As long as she hasn't been bitten, bring her in and I'll have Edwards treat her," I respond.

"Yes ma'am. We'll be there in about 20 minutes. See you soon, Shepherd."