[ 03. this band is back ]

your pov

We stood on the sandy beach. There was a group of people playing volleyball behind us and seagulls squawked as they flew past.

"A bike shack right where my house used to be." We had been standing and staring here for a little while now. "Right here."

"Yeah, I'm sorry, man." Luke pat Reggie on the chest.

"They made the Meyersons' house into a noodle shop. Why couldn't they have made mine a pizzeria or something?"

"They tore down the whole neighbourhood." Alex said, taking a hand out of his shorts pocket and gesturing ahead of us.

"I guess my folks are gone." Reggie sighed.

"No. Everyone's gone." Alex said. "25 years, gone. Friends, family, Bobby, everyone."

"Bobby, that's right." Reggie crossed his arms. "I guess that vegetarian lucked out. What do you think happened to him?"

"He probably just for old like everybody else and moved on." Luke shrugged.

"Dude, how are you so casual about all of this?" Alex asked. "I mean, don't you wanna figure out what happened?"

"Well, let's be real for a second. It's not like any of us were that close to our families. My folks always regretted buying me that guitar. Reggie, your parents were literally a fight away from a divorce. Y/N didn't even know her parents. Alex, I... your parents were never cool again after you told them you were gay."

"Okay, none of us had it great. All right? But at least we had something. You know, what do we have now? And before you say cool teleportation skills, just know I'm not entirely okay with that either. All right? It tingles. In weird places." Alex turned around and looked over at the water.

What Luke said got me thinking. My grandma was already old, so after 25 years...

"I'll tell you what we had." Luke stood up. "It's what we've had since the day we came together. Guys, we have us. Okay, we're the only family we're ever gonna need. You know what else we have?"

"I'm gonna guess death breath." Reggie shrugged.

"Our music, you dork." Luke chuckled. "We have our music, you guys. People, actual people, can hear us play! Okay, they can't see us, fine, but they can feel us. If I had my guitar, I'd play for all these people right now. Just like what we used to down at the pier."

"Yeah, they can't tip what they can't see."

"It's not about the tips, Alex." Luke walked up to our friend. "It's about playing music. Connecting with people. Making a difference in their day. I just... I wish I had my guitar."

There was a flash and Luke spun around, now holding his acoustic guitar.

"Woah." Reggie grinned. "That was rad. How'd you do that?"

"I don't know." Luke held his guitar up in front of him. "I-I-I mean, I wished for it, and then it came in my hands..."

"I-I-I wish I had a puppy." Reggie closed his eyes and held his hands out. "A hamster? Pizza?"

Reggie groaned, kicked some sand and sat on the floor with a frown. The boy really missed pets and food apparently.

"Hey, I think I know something that'll cheer you up." Luke then starts strumming his guitar.

"Come on, Reginald." Alex said from beside Luke and started making a beat with his hands.

I held out my hands for Reggie to take. He grabbed them and I pulled him up to his feet.