↳˗ˏˋ fifty four ˊˎ˗↴

Start from the beginning

"watching you guys play wears me out, so i couldn't even imagine actually being on the court. i think i'd die."

"i think you could hold your own."

"see, i probably could, but i'd complain about it," she pointed out.

"you said it, not me," hinata took a bite of his food, glancing around the dining hall. "we've only got, like, four more games to go."

"yup. we'll all be home soon enough. what're you planning on doing once this is done?"

hinata gave her a little smile, "i'm gonna go back to brazil."

her eyes widened, "really? just for fun? or are you planning on joining a league?"

"super league. when i first went to brazil, it was a mess. my emotional and mental state wasn't really there. but, after really spending some time adjusting and getting to know some really great people, it's a place i grew to love. i missed it a lot when i came back to japan. which isn't to say i hated being part of the jackals; i loved getting to play with bo, tsumu, and sakusa. but, i'm already here, you know? i made it to the olympics, i got what i always wanted. so, now, i can just go to brazil and play."

"well, i wish you the best of luck. who knows? maybe i'll come visit."

"if you do, let me know. always got room for you," he smiled.

"thanks, hinata," she nodded. "i'll toss your trash if you're done," she added, taking his tray when he nodded. they gathered up their things and walked back towards the apartments.

"um... never mind," hinata shoved his hands in his pockets.

"hm?"

"nothing."

"sounded like something."

"it's been a minute, so i figured it wouldn't be worth it to bring it up."

"well now you have to elaborate."

hinata sighed, "did anyone ever tell you about what happened that one game? i think it was canada?"

"no. but, i remember you accidentally spiked the ball at that one dude's chest and knocked the wind out of him."

"yeah... that was on purpose."

"what?"

"they were talking about you, and it was just so disrespectful and disgusting. i was so angry that i kind of just did it? and i'll be honest, it felt really good to watch him go down. but, yeah. everyone was pissed off."

[y/n] blinked, "you guys don't ever have to do anything like that for me. people like that aren't worth the effort."

"we know. but, you're still our friend and someone we care a lot about. hearing the way those guys talked about you was just so infuriating. the lack of basic respect-"

"hinata," she said, hand on his arm, "i got it."

"sorry. i guess i just needed to vent," he nervously chuckled, hand awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"feel free to vent to me anytime," she told him. she glanced at the sky, littered with stars. "it's nice out tonight."

"yeah, the weather is good."

"aren't there those little cabana things somewhere?"

"by the water, yeah. you wanna go?"

"yes," she answered immediately, dragging him behind her as they went to find one. interestingly enough, there was no one else out tonight. "it's never this quiet. there must be a party somewhere."

"i think the u.s basketball team was hosting something on the opposite side of the village."

"oh, you know what, nova did mention something like that," she remembered, dropping her bag down and moving to lay on the cabana bed. "come join me."

"i feel like if i lay down, i'm never going to get back up," hinata admitted.

"eh, it's fine. it'll be worth it," she patted the spot next to her. he caved and laid next to her, the two looking at the stars from the opening on the top of the cabana. "i used to know all the constellations and shit, and then i started doing adult stuff and completely forgot them all."

"that's actually kind of funny."

"you think it's funny that i now have no childhood memories?"

"isn't that a trauma response?"

"oh god, i am not going to get into all of that."

"fair enough."

"... damn, could my trauma be that bad?"

"you're going to wreck your brain over this."

"you know me too well."

"only what you choose to show," hinata pointed out. "you have the demeanor of someone that lives like an open book, but i can tell there's a lot you keep inside, whether out of fear or simply wanting to keep some things to yourself."

she chewed the inside of her lip, "i think i'm a pretty open and honest person."

"sure, if it's something you want to talk about."

"fair. i think."

"i'm not trying to make you feel bad-"

"no, it's okay. i get where you're coming from."

"sorry."

"you don't have to apologize."

"well, i'm going to anyways," he told her. "you're a good person, [y/n], and i think you are easily one of the greatest people i've ever met. don't let whatever you're afraid of make you feel like you have to keep your guard up all the time," he turned to look at her, eyes flicking from her eyes to her lips. "[y/n]?"

"hm?"

"would it be okay if i kissed you?"

she smiled softly, "i'd like that."

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

happy new year everyone 🤍

may 2023 bring you happiness and peace