ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁰⁰⁹

Start from the beginning

"Decoys." Dustin finished. "Don't worry. You can be the hero, Steve."

"Absolutely. I mean, look at us." Eddie said as he looked to Dustin. "We are not heroes."

Both boys gave the Steve tight-lipped smiles, while Matilda's expression was pensive. She reached out to give Dustin a hug, whispering an I love you as she did. He repeated her actions, and when she stepped back she turned around with Steve.

"Hey, Steve? Campbell?"

They stopped, looking back again. Eddie had stepped forward a little, his face washed with determination and a little bit of fear. "Make him pay," He said, his eyes trailing to Matilda.

"We'll give him hell." Matilda responded, as Steve nodded slightly.

And with that, the four teens began to make their trek into the woods, on the path to the Creel house.

The Upside Down Avengers were ready for battle.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

The group was relatively silent as they walked through the dark woods, the constant sound of leaves crunching below them filled their ears.

"Uh— I don't mean to freak anyone out, but I swear we've seen this tree before." Robin pointed her flashlight to a vine covered tree near them.

"That's impossible." Nancy furrowed her brows.

Robin grimaced, "That would suck, right? If Vecna destroyed the world because— 'cause we got lost in the woods?"

"We're not lost, Robin." Nancy replies, and Robin just lets out a forced laugh, starting to move a little faster. "Robin, hey. Watch out for the vines! Hive mind. Remember?" Nancy groans, walking faster to catch up to the now running girl.

Matilda shakes her head, looking at the ground below her. Now it was just her and Steve, walking side by side between the trees.

"Hey, don't worry about her. She's just stressed. You know how she is." Steve points out.

Matilda nods, "Yeah, yeah. I know. She's just—"

"She's a super klutz?" Steve questions.

"That's the word." Matilda laughs lightly.

"You know, she told me once that it took her longer to walk than most babies." Steve chuckles, "I really shouldn't laugh. When I was a baby, I actually crawled backwards."

Matilda furrows her brows, "You... crawled backwards?"

Steve shrugs, "You know, I'd push with my hands like this," He slides his hands in front of him as if he was a baby again, "Beep. Beep. Always in reverse, you know." Steve glances at Matilda and nudges her elbow. "I mean, come on. It makes sense. You push to move, right?"

Matilda sucks air through her teeth, slightly shaking her head. "No, doesn't really make sense to me."

"Well, it did in my tiny little Harrington brain. This is, of course, until I reversed my baby butt down a flight of stairs and thumped my head really good." Steve admits. Matilda snorts, covering her mouth that had dropped open. "Yeah." Steve exhaled.