Chapter 4: Dark Visions

Comincia dall'inizio

"Olive-" Severus sighed and I crossed my arms in front of my chest. 

"Don't! I need to know what happened." I was surprised how easily he gave in, telling me every single detail of the death of a woman I never knew.

"The day she died, no one found her until midnight. She was usually up in her room. Alone or with Mattheo. He was one of the only ones that stopped by at her room. So it was the poor seven year old, who found his mother dead. Her condition was bad the days before and since she had no wounds or anything else, everybody thought she died because of her illness."

"Well, that's obvious. I wouldn't have suspected anything else." I said while Severus paused for a few seconds, staring out of the window. I followed his gaze into the front yard, trying to make out any familiar objects in the complete darkness.

"He didn't take it well at all, Mattheo. I was at the Manor that day, experiencing the pain he went through first hand. It was horrible. He changed a lot since her death and no one blames him. The last remaining light in his life got taken away in a matter of seconds. After that day he was never the same."

I didn't say anything. I thought of Voldemort's son, trying to picture his face in front of me. But my head couldn't really remember his features. He is handsome, that was the first thing I thought when he entered the room. But there was something off about him that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"They found poison in her blood. So whoever did it, had to be in the Manor at some point that day." 

"Did they ever figure out who it was?"

"No. Even though Tom did everything in his power to find the one responsible for her death. They-" he paused, not wanting to continue the story.

"You can tell me Sev." I looked at him, encouraging to continue.

"They had a complicated relationship. In the last few years he barely acknowledging her existence. But when she died he was awake countless of nights, trying to figure out who did this to her.

"He tried to make it right, I guess."

"It's the dark Lord we're talking about. You need to be sceptical. He's only nice to you, when he benefits off of it. Never forget that." I nodded at his words, trying to remember his advice.

"Is that why I didn't get the dark mark? Not because I'm too weak, but because I might help him to solve a riddle, which he benefits from?" I asked, putting the pieces together.

"That's what I'm thinking." Severus was looking at me concerned, but my head was only functioning halfway. I was way too tired to be concerned about anything right now. My eyes were so heavy that I could't hold them open any longer.

"I'm going to bed. You can stay in the guest room. We need to leave in a few hours anyways." Severus nodded at my words and we both left the kitchen.

I made my way towards my room, dropping the clothes onto my desk chair and getting ready for bed.

As soon as my head hit the pillow I drifted into a short but good sleep. Not thinking about why Voldemort saw his dead wife when he touched my arm or why she was murdered many years ago.

◅▫▻

I made my way downstairs, grabbing my coat from the hook. My father was already waiting next to the stairs with a sad expression on his face. Without me, the house was completely empty and I knew he hated a empty house.

"I'll see you on Christmas, Liv." he kissed the top of my forehead and I wrapped my hands around him. "See you on Christmas, dad." I mumbled.

After two more goodbyes, Severus and I apparated to the train station and we arrived at the platform just in time.