I'll Be Your Sunshine pt.1

Start from the beginning

"Well it was nice meeting you. If you need anything or get lost again, I'm in room 13U. I know you know where the upper sixth hallway is," Louis smiles, trying to make Harry smile with a lousy joke. Harry offers a trace of a smile before saying goodbye and going into his room.

Louis makes a mental note of Harry's room number so he can visit him again. Maybe he'll bring him cookies when he goes home for the weekend. He can tell that Harry is a new student, and being as young as he is and as shy as he seems, he hopes he doesn't run into any trouble with the more rambunctious kids. Even though he hardly knows Harry, Louis already feels like he wants to protect him and make him smile.

-

A week's worth of exchanging pleasantries with Harry in the hallway--and a fresh batch of cookies--later, Louis feels Harry is starting to warm up to him. He can always count on the boy to appear in the upper sixth hallway in the morning, though he isn't sure why. The only explanation he can come up with is that Harry is in an advanced class.

Louis has spent the day carefully planning what he wants to talk about with Harry, what questions he wants to ask to get to know him better without prying or sounding obsessive.

After playing his regular evening football with his friends, Louis showers and heads to Harry's room. He softly knocks twice on the door, smiling when he sees Harry in front of him moments later. He is wearing sweatpants and a hoodie, with the hood pulled over his head.

"Hi," Louis kindly says. "You look comfy."

"I was studying," Harry says.

"Oh, sorry. Did I disturb you?" Louis quickly asks.

"Um...no. It's fine." Each day, Louis has gotten Harry to speak to him more and more, even though he still speaks quietly and in short sentences. Baby steps. "So, what's up?" Harry asks.

"I was thinking we could hang out. Is that okay?" He asks. He finds that when it comes to Harry, he often asks how he is and how he feels about things, since Harry doesn't seem to want to share his opinions unless he is asked. Harry looks down and plays with the drawstrings on his hoodie, then nods. He steps aside, and Louis enters his room. The space is less neat than Louis had imagined, but it's not a mess. There are a few clothing items left on the floor in front of the walnut wood dresser, the bed is not made, and the nightstand looks like a space for random junk. But it's not bad, especially by Louis' standards.

Louis looks at the desk against the opposite wall of the bed, frowning at the absence of personal items. In fact, the whole room has a "barely moved in" look to it. While he continues looking around Harry's room, he remembers that Harry told him he was studying. However, Louis doesn't see a single textbook, notebook, or pencil out.

"Sorry, it's kind of a mess," Harry apologizes as he sits on the edge of his bed with his legs criss-crossed.

"Oh, don't worry. My room can get pretty messy sometimes," Louis lightheartedly says. The room quickly becomes deafeningly quiet. Louis looks to Harry, who is peering at the clothes on his floor with an absent mind; he seems to be immune to the awkward silence. "No roommate, huh? How'd you get so lucky?"

"Lucky," Harry slightly chuckles, "I guess they didn't want me to have a friend." Louis frowns at this, because Harry looks like he believes what he is saying.

"I'm your friend, at least I hope I am. Can I sit here?" Louis points to the bed, and Harry nods. The endless possibilities of conversation topics float around the two boys, but Harry doesn't seem to notice.

"How are you? I didn't get to ask you that today." Today was the first day since meeting Harry that Louis didn't pass him in the hallway.

"I'm good. I was having a bad morning so I-" he cuts himself off, leaving Louis curious.