Mysterious Man

Comincia dall'inizio

"Well, maybe I could. I was just having a salad, but I'm really hankering for a big bowl of chili from-"

"Mama's Kitchen?" Sam's lips parted in a boyish grin.

"She makes the best."

"I love it." Sam beamed. "Wish my own mother could make chili as good."

Must've been nice to have a mother.

I blinked, startled by my own thought. In the last 16 years, I'd hardly ever wondered what it would've been like to have my mother. I don't quite remember her, only flashes here and there of vague figures.

"So, Mama's kitchen, then?" Sam asked, his brows arching in inquiry.

"Sure." I glanced at the clock and groaned lightly. The clock was stuck. Well, not literally. I felt like I'd been at work for hours when I'd only managed to be there for three. Lunch was another hour off and I couldn't wait to get out for a moment. Maybe doing something just slightly out of the ordinary would bring my mind a little peace. I hoped it would, at least.

"I'll come 'round at noon. Don't make up an excuse now that you've agreed." Sam threw me a wink as he turned his head, tossing back his nearly unruly tawny mane. I had to grin as it makes him seem so much younger than his twenty-nine years.

At noon, Sam kept his promise as he startled me with a tap on the metal frame of my cubicle. I'd been staring at my computer for nearly ten minutes, seeing nothing but red. My cheeks burned with the color, having been caught doing absolutely nothing for a change.

"Sorry. I was..." I got a smirk from Sam and redden even more. "Um... I'd just switched off the screen and was waiting."

"For me?" Sam's smirk deepened. "Why thank you, Avian, I'm flattered."

I gave snort at the teasing. "I don't know if I should join you, being that I don't like cocky." I slapped my hand over my mouth, my cheeks draining of all color. Had I just said that aloud? Yes!

"It's alright. Never fear, Avian. I know I come off cocky and egotistical at times, but I like you. Don't be afraid to put me in my place, or anyone in their place for that matter. You can't let people run over you."

I nodded in agreement, slowly removing my hand feeling reassured that he wasn't upset by my statement. A head of ebony waves popped around my cubicle and I jumped again.

"Hey, Ava. You going with us?" The girl I knew as Audrey who's cube is connected to mine on my right asked, in her angelicly sweet voice.

"Um... yeah." I guessed by her statement that she was one of the employees having lunch with our younger boss.

"Yay. 'Bout time." She cheered, a smile forming on her ruby red lips. "You know I've been neighbors with this girl for almost a year and she's never left her cube until it was time to call it a day?" She said this too Sam who looked at me with wide surprised syrupy eyes.

I bit my lip self-consciuosly. I didn't like having my faults aired, especially to the boss. Sam's smile changed, the light of his tawny eyes dimming just barely.

"Well, let's take this opportunity and celebrate." He tried making me feel better with a bright smile, but I don't jump with joy. Instead, I grabbed my oversized bag and pull it onto my shoulder.

"Let's." I voiced lightly, stepping around him.

Mama's Kitchen was a comfortable place. There were long oak tables with bench seats on one side of the room and  round ones with mismatched chairs on the other side. The walls were done in beige with a muted blue flower motif. Black and white pictures hung sporidacally around the space. The lights were slightly dimmed, shining from yellow tin pendulums over each table.