02. new year

two,
new year

        PHOEBE MILLER HAD heard all about how having divorced parents meant two months of everything

PHOEBE MILLER HAD heard all about how having divorced parents meant two months of everything. Two rooms, two birthdays, two Christmases. It was true, and though Phoebe didn't have the best relationship with her mother, Christmas had been strange without Katherine. Phoebe and her family had gone to her aunt's house (which Phoebe had been very excited about seeing as she got to see her favorite cousin).

Phoebe got ready for the party at Ashlyn's house. She wore a simple Christmas sweater, high-waisted jeans, and her beloved combat boots. Her accessories were pretty simple also, her bee necklace and the promise ring EJ had gotten her. Every time she looked at it, it reassured her that she and EJ would make it. Phoebe's hair was down in her natural waves, the pieces closer to her face freshly dyed a dark pink.

Phoebe grabbed her phone and headed downstairs, seeing her father sitting at the dining room table, swiping. Finding out her father had gotten a Tinder account had been weird. The doorbell rang and Phoebe went to let Clara in. EJ and a few Water Polo guys were volunteering at the soup kitchen so he wouldn't be able to pick her up.

"Hey, Mr. Miller," Clara walked in. "Ooh, swipe right she's pretty and her dog's cute."

James followed her instructions before looking up at his daughter. "Have fun, be safe. Call me if you need anything. Do you have your key?"

Phoebe nodded and gave her father a quick hug before she and Clara left. Clara let Phoebe have her phone so she could play Taylor Swift. Putting Reputation on shuffle, Don't Blame Me was the first song to come on. Both girls held off on talking to each other so they could scream the lyrics.

"Miss Jenn's totally going to pick High School Musical Two for the musical," Clara said once the song was over. "It's so obvious. She's, like, weirdly obsessed with the movies."

"Well, that," Phoebe agreed, looking over at the redhead. "And it just makes sense to do High School Musical Two after doing High School Musical."

"Hey, girls," Kourtney greeted them when they walked in to Ashlyn's house. She handed them each a piece of paper. "Fill this out."

"What's it for?" Clara stared at the paper.

"New Year's resolutions," Kourtney explained. "We're gonna play a game later."

Clara and Phoebe both nodded, going to write their resolutions down. Phoebe thought for a moment, unsure of what to write down before it hit her. Quickly, she scribbled down I want to take more risks.

"Hello, hello," Phoebe heard a familiar voice and walked into Ashlyn's kitchen, beaming when she saw her boyfriend walk in with a case of Shasta. EJ smiled at her and leaned down to kiss her when she was close enough. "Sorry I'm so late, I was volunteering at the soup kitchen with the Water Polo guys."