Prologue #1: Only You

Only you...

Can make, this world seem right...

Only you...

Can make the darkness bright...

It felt like yesterday...that god forsaken day...

[???] "You have to go! Its too dangerous!"

[????] "There could still be more of them in there! I refuse to abandon my family!"

[???] "Please! Don't do this to me...dont leave me here alone..."

Only you, and you alone...

Can thrill me like you do...

A small sob...a single second of hesitation...before she just ran into hells embrace...

[????] "Im sorry my love...I cant live knowing they might still be alive out there..."

[???] "Please...think of our children...they need their mother!"

A loud cry bursting out of me...my body frozen...the only warmth was the blood rushing out of me...

[???] "I cant do it without you....Im not strong without you"

My final words to her...the last thing I ever said...a confession of my own weakness...something she saw very little of in our time...

[????] "Dont say that!...You are strong Jackson! You always have been!You've saved me and countless others so many times! And I know you will be strong...For me...For them.....Im sorry my love..."

There it was...her last words...her final good bye...I didnt hear anything else...my own tears and screams blocking out all noise...

And fill, my heart with love...

For only you...

I snapped from my brief escape from reality...the situation now coming back to me...a faint cry from a baby...the small burning on my fingers.

My eyes scanned the room, landing onto my left. Two babies in their crib, rocked back and forth by one hand, my other holding a now burnt cigarette, the embers dancing on the skin of my fingers.

I sighed as I put the ashes out into their tray, the corpses of the dozens of other cigarettes still laying there...the smoke in my lungs settled, as I let it become one with my being. Even I knew not to breath smoke towards children, yet I still found ways to feed my craving.

The light breeze from the open window, the heavy winds from the ceiling fan...the cold that surrounded me, as a blanket swaddled the children...my mind was a fire of disaster...only a single sentence bouncing from wall to wall in my skull...

How the fuck did I get here...

------------------------------