; ten

S A M

The boys looked at each other then back at Scott as Sam just started at him confused.

"What do you mean, that wasn't your ball?" Squints asked.

"It was my stepdad's." Scott explained. "I stole it from his trophy room. It was a present or something. Somebody gave it to him. But we gotta get it back. He's gonna kill me!"

Squints rubbed his temples. "Listen to me, Smalls. It's a matter of life and death. Where did your old man get that ball?"

Sam walked up to Scott and stopped at his side. She then was facing her boyfriend and the rest of the boys.

"It's not matter of life and death, Squints." Sam said, placing a hand on her hip. "Look, we can just easily go over now and get the ball for Scott if it means that much to him."

"You don't understand, Sam." Benny tried to convince, Sam rolled her eyes.

"I don't know. Some lady gave it to him. Why?" Scott answered Squints' question.

The boys started murmuring again.

"What?"

"What lady?"

"Yeah. She even signed her name on it." Scott kept talking. "Some lady named...Ruth, Baby Ruth."

"BABE RUTH?!" The boys chorused, with their eyes wide. They quickly ran to the fence like their life depended on it, then they started to climb it.

Suddenly, a growl was heard and and the boys scream out in terror. They jumped off the fence and ran back to Scott and Sam.

"The Beast got it." DeNunez stated.

"You're dead as a doornail, Smalls." Timmy said.

"You're dead as a doornail." Tommy repeated.

"Smalls, you mean to tell me that you went home and swiped a ball that was signed by Babe Ruth, and you brought it here and actually played with it?"

"Actually played with it?"

"Yeah, but I was gonna bring it back." Scott tried to reason.

"But it was signed by Babe Ruth." Squint exclaimed.

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. You keep telling me that. Who is she?"

"Yeah, I'm really confused about this situation because I don't know who Babe Ruth is either." Sam pointed out. Was he famous or something?

"What? What!?" Ham yelled.

"The Sultan of Swat."

"The King of Crash."

"The Colossus of Clout."

"Babe Ruth!" The boys chorused again as Benny pinched the bridge of his nose.

"The Great Bambino!"

"Oh, my god! You mean that's the same guy?" Scott tugged at his hair in frustration. Same guy? What same guy? Sam thought.

"Smalls, Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived. People say her was less than a god but more than a man. You know, like Hercules or something. I can't believe you don't know who he is." Benny explained. "Sam, okay I understand 'cause she's a girl, but you? You know about baseball, you're supposed to know Babe Ruth!"

"Excuse me?" Sam asked with her eyebrows raised. She crossed her arms. "Just because I'm a girl it's not obvious that I don't know about Babe Ruth. There's plenty of girls that know about Babe Ruth too."

"But Benny's right, Sam you're a girl. Girls aren't supposed to know, play, or like baseball. So, it's not surprising that you don't know Babe Ruth." Ham said.

"I just hit an almost homer. It hit the fence!"

"Yeah because your precious boyfriend helped you."

"Well sorry that I lived years without knowing how to read the newspaper or years without watching television." Sam's voice quivered at the end of her sentence. She managed to cover it with a cough then she gave Benny her best glare. What's wrong with him? Sam questioned to herself.

"Anyways," Yeah-Yeah said awkwardly. "That ball you just aced to The Beast is worth, we'll, more than your whole life Smalls."

Scott's faced paled. He fell to his knees and groaned. "I don't feel so good."

"Uh-oh, fan him."

"Give him air, give him air."

The boys took of their hats and waved them up and down, fanning Scott with air.

"We have to get that ball back." Scott hoarsed out.

The boys started talking about cashing in bottles to get money for a new ball while Sam zoned out.

She couldn't believe her boyfriend was so...stereotypical. He knew how Sam spent her childhood; in the streets with no knowledge. What he said was like a bullet that went straight to Sam's heart.

Suddenly, Sam got pulled out of her thoughts as Benny grabbed her hand and ran out the sandlot, dragging her behind him.

really bad filler, sorry!