Chapter Forty-Eight: The Third Secret

Start from the beginning

"It's a little reunion gift, since I haven't seen you in some time." He explains, crossing his arms over his chest.

It was true. There had been a fallout between my parents and my uncle. Aunt Yori never spoke of it, but I knew deep down that she was bothered by what was going on. I never really found out the reasoning, and decided that if it made them this upset, I would stay out of it. Mum seemed to be strained on the idea of me vising Uncle in the city or training with him. Her gaze always turned regretful.

"How is Middle School looking to you?" He asks after putting my suitcase in my assigned room (as the little note on the kitchen counter had told me). I glance to him after taking in the view of the beach from my window. "I hear that you got into Nabu Middle School, and made friends with, uh... What was his name again?"

"Shinso Hitoshi." I mumble back, hands pushing into my pockets, "Yeah, it's alright. I met him at orientation, and he seems nice. We're seated next to each other apparently." I watch as Uncle nods to the exit of the room, and I follow after. "The rest of my class is kind of... secluded. They already have groups made and we had only been in the same room for an hour. I wonder what Middle School will be like, and if it'll change."

Uncle opens the fridge, wiping his hand off afterwards and giving me a glass of water. "It's alright. You don't need a large group of friends anyway." He informs me. I sip my drink. "They become distractions."

It was quiet, almost as if he was saying it to himself. I decide not to ask.

"So, you're helping me train?" I ask, changing the topic. He looks over his shoulder to me, pulling his mask down to drink from his own glass. Uncle nods. "When do we begin?"

He goes to answer me, when he notices something behind me. Uncle lets out an annoyed groan before walking away. "Yori has always been careless." He huffs out. I watch as he removes his glove, rather distasteful might I add, and presses his hand to a burnt out candle. The wax is set, the drops frozen in fallen positions and puddles. But when his finger brushes against it, the candle is restored to it's natural and primary state. I blinked at it, so quick. He clicks his tongue. "I told her to blow them out when she's done using them, and put them on a holder."

I chuckle, putting my glass in the sink and walking to stand beside him, "Aunt Yori said the candle holders you got her doesn't match the rest of the decor."

Uncle rolls his eyes and slides his gloves back on. "11 years older than me, but so pedantic." He huffs.

It would be worth noting that Uncle Kai was only my step-uncle on my mother's side. There was a... family issue before I was born. Mum explained it to me briefly. My grandmother, when Mum was 12 and Aunt Yori was 10, was pregnant, but by someone other than my grandfather as he had passed away a year prior. Mum and Aunt were terribly upset, and Uncle Kai was birthed a year later.

He had a variation of my grandmother's Quirk, just like Aunt Yori and myself. Mum was the only one to get my grandfather's Quirk. It only solidified their family ties when his powers grew into his life. Years came to pass and Aunt Yori learnt to love Uncle Kai as a brother, and they became close. I know Mum has always had a rocky relationship with him, but didn't outright push him away.

All that Mum told me about him when I first asked, was that his Quirk was powerful - more than Aunt Yori's Creative Destruction. She looked worried when she said it. And it followed with her hoping that my power was mine to tame, and not nearly as calamitous.