𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑰𝑿𝑻𝑬𝑬𝑵: 𝑬𝑴𝑶𝑻𝑰𝑶𝑵𝑨𝑳 𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑳𝑬𝑹𝑪𝑶𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑬𝑹

Start from the beginning

His hands still on the ledge, he faced her. "Charlie, I-"

"It's okay," she offered him a tight smile and put her hand on top of his in a reassuring way. "You weren't there to protect me at the time. No one can hurt me now, right?"

She was so strong, or trying to be in front of everyone and even herself, Charlie buried her fear.

Not deep enough though as her voice, her gaze... It was short, almost imperceptible for anyone who didn't know her well.

Her kidnapping left an indelible mark.

Straightening, James' heart squeezed at her vulnerability. "I'm making sure of it," he said as he tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear that the wind had misplaced, his thumb longing a second too long on her cheek.

Charlie's lips parted, and like a a ship drawn to the lighthouse in the darkness of the night, James was drawn to her.

He wanted to tangle his fingers in the nape of her hair, holding her tight and close to him. Breathing the same air, their lips were only a few inches apart until something caught his eye behind Charlie.

It was strange.

"We have to go," he said, his voice steady.

"Oh," she frowned.

"Now."

"What's wrong?"

"We are being watched," he whispered.

"There is no one out there but us," she said, uncomfortably chuckling and frowning at the same time, looking deep in his eyes.

He leaned to whisper in her ear. "Just play along."

Charlie shivered and she didn't know if it was because the sun had disappeared behind the buildings and the temperature had instantly dropped or if it was because of the now icy tone of James that scared her.

They started to walk back to the car as James silently hurried her to walk faster.

Once arrived at the car, he opened the door for her and then went to the driver's side. The moment he turned on the ignition, two headlights lit up behind them.

"Who are they?" her chest tightened when she questioned James.

"Can't wait to find out," he said, taking his eyes off the rearview mirror and focusing his gaze on the road ahead.

Stepping on the gas at full speed, they crossed the bridge to reach Queens.

The car behind them still followed them closely even after they passed a few blocks, so James tried to lose a tail in a different way.

He was so calm that Charlie panicked for them both. Her heart was racing and her breathing was unsteady as the car continued to chase after them, joined by another one emerging from a perpendicular street. They managed to sandwich James and Charlie's vehicle between them and as Charlie thought they were going to die, James spoke.

"Hold on tight," he warned.

Charlie just had the time to catch herself and put a hand on the headboard when he suddenly pressed the brake pedal hard, pulling them out from between the two other cars that went smashing into each other.

***

At the end of a dark corridor, James put the key in the lock as he gave a slight push with his shoulder and a door opened.

Gesturing for Charlie to follow him inside, she hesitated before eventually taking a few steps in.

"Where are we?" she asked with her throat dry. Scanning the dark apartment. Charlie could hardly discern him, the room and the furniture.