The DATE Date

(The song I referenced in this chapter is "Snow halation" by μ's)

Natsuki scowled at herself in the mirror, hoping that would help her to not feel so damn nervous. For her outfit, she'd chosen a pastel pink, cable-knit sweater dress with light gray fleece tights to keep her warm. The dress even had pockets. Her gloves were also gray, and her winter boots were a soft brown. Her hair was in its usual pigtails, though they were tied with dark pink ribbons instead of the red ones she wore to match her school uniform.

She wondered what Yuri would choose to wear. She'd only ever seen the girl in her school uniform, or a simple sweater and leggings. Today probably wouldn't be any different; it was December, after all. Although Natsuki couldn't help but wish it was, like, July or something. Maybe then she could see Yuri in some lovely, flowy dress, her skin glowing in the afternoon sunlight...

Natsuki looked from her clothes back to her face in the mirror, and realized she was smiling and blushing. She quickly scowled again, but the blush wouldn't go away. She rolled her eyes at her lovestruck, daydreaming self. At least she could blame her flushed face on the cold.

It's about time to go, she thought, excited yet reluctant. Snatching up her phone, earbuds, and coin purse, she thumbed out a text to Yuri telling her she was on her way to the café. Then she was out of her bedroom, down the stairs and out the front door.

Luckily the pale blue sky was clear, though the sidewalks were coated with churned snow. It crunched under Natsuki's feet as she walked, fumbling with her phone and earbuds. Once both buds were in her ears, she scrolled through her music playlist and clicked a song, already knowing just what she wanted to listen to. Piano and violin rang beautifully in her ears. She smiled, singing along as the lyrics began.

~Fushigi da ne ima no kimochi
Sora kara futte kita mitai
Tokubetsu na kisetsu no iro ga tokimeki o miseru yo~

(~This feeling, it's strange, isn't it?
It's almost as though it came fluttering down from the sky
The color of this special season fills me with excitement~)

Natsuki sighed. Of all the songs she knew, none of them described her feelings right now as well as Snow halation.

~Hajimete deatta toki kara
Yokan ni sawagu kokoro no Melody
Tomerarenai tomaranai naze
Todokete
Setsunasa ni wa namae o tsukeyou ka "Snow halation"
Omoi ga kasanaru made matezu ni
Kuyashii kedo suki tte junjou
Binetsu no naka tameratte mo dame da ne
Tobikomu yuuki ni sansei mamonaku Start!!~

(~From the moment we met,
The melody of my heart has been ringing with premonitions
It can't be stopped, it won't be stopped—why?
Ring out
Shall I name this heart-rending pain "snow halation"?
I can't wait for our feelings to resonate; it's frustrating, but it's a pure-hearted devotion called love
Even in this mild fever, I can't hesitate
I'll accept the courage to dive in; it's about to start!~)

Natsuki liked the way this song described being in love—as a fierce passion that had a mind of its own. She remembered the days when her feelings for Yuri were just a tiny, confusing crush. Whenever thoughts of her sprung up, she would stomp them down, trying her best to get rid of those feelings. But love can't and won't be stopped, and she was definitely falling in love with Yuri. Eventually she realized that. Accepting her feelings had been the first step toward where she was now: preparing herself to tell Yuri how she felt.

~Oto mo naku kehai mo naku
Shizuka ni unmei wa kawaru
Korekara no mirai ni mune no kodou ga hayaku naru
Tatoeba komatta toki ni wa
Sugu kaketsukete dakishimetakute
Doko ni ite mo dokodemo Fly high!!~