Chapter XXII: Daylight

Start from the beginning

"What the actual shit-" Liam began to say.

"You're a keyper?!" Niall gasped.

"Fuck," Harry muttered, gripping the door knob so hard he almost broke it.

"Hey, you okay?" Zayn whispered, softly patting Selena's back.

"The fuck, did you two just bond?" Liam added.

"You have some explaining to do, Zayn," Selena murmured. She closed her eyes again and waited for the feeling to ebb away from her skin.

She didn't see the green-eyed monster making its way out into the daylight. Niall did, so once again he quickly positioned himself between Zayn and Harry.

Zayn only helped Selena lie down again.

"I didn't mean for that to happen," Zayn said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Selena said. She realized he knew she was the Golden that afternoon they saw each other again - that moment they touched and he froze.

Touch. It was Zayn's heightened sense.

"You were supposed to find out on your own."

"I was?"

"Yeah, it's part of the pact that Keyper families had. The Golden finds her Keypers."

Selena frowned as she though how she really didn't find all the Keypers she had right now.

Liam whistled, "Isn't it such a coincidence that you're exes with two of the Keypers? Ya sure are diligent, picking out Keypers before you became Golden."

But now that she thought of it, it was within Liam's personality to screw with the rules. Even age-old pacts between other Keypers.

Zayn shook his head and sat next to Selena. "I wasn't the original keyper."

Everyone waited for Zayn to continue.

"My sister was," Zayn lamented. "But she died almost four years ago. And the key was transferred to me."

Selena gasped and sat up, "Donny? You mean she's..."

Zayn nodded solemnly.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Zayn," Selena wrapped her arms around him this time.

"It's all right," Zayn said. "I got my revenge from The Family anyway."

Niall's face fell, "They're really hunting keypers and our families?"

"Now, now. We all know they're shit people to begin with," Liam said as he smacked Niall's back. "We have more pressing matters right now. Like how much more fun it will be to watch this drama unfold."

Liam sniggered as he glanced at Harry.

"Where's your key?" Selena asked, changing the topic before Liam aggravated Harry and their situation more.

"I'll show you later," Zayn gave her a small smile. "Why don't you rest some more?"

"Ohhh, you heard that Harry? He'll show her later! Is it in your-"

Niall suddenly grabbed Liam by the neck and began dragging him outside, "We're just gonna buy some food."

"Wait, I wanna watch-" Liam began to say but Niall covered his mouth with his arm and just dragged him away with all his strength.

Harry shook his head and grabbed a shirt to wear.

"Has it subsided?" Zayn asked as he softly brushed his fingertips on her cheeks.

Selena's cheeks were twinged in pink as she remembered the memory that flashed before her. She squeaked out, "Yes."

Harry's eye twitched. He disliked how Zayn was acting like it was only him and Selena left in the room.

He cleared his throat.

Zayn turned to look at him, "Since we have to get along for her sake, we should get along Harry."

He stood up and walked towards Harry. Zayn extended his hand to him, "Truce?"

Selena only watched them. She knew they needed to work out whatever issues they had by themselves. That and she was just really tired to stand in between them at that moment.

Still, she sat straight just in case.

Harry stared at his hand. "So what happens when you touch someone?"

Zayn dropped his hand and smiled, "You figured it out?"

"Liam has hearing, Niall has taste. So it's either touch or smell."

Zayn had a small smile. "I can influence a person's feeling when I come in contact with them. Only for a short while. But it's handy enough."

The crease on Harry's brow deepened.

"Before you even ask, I never once used it on Marie."

Harry's frown only told Zayn that he didn't trust his words.

"But that's not all is it?" Selena said, standing up. "You knew I was... this. When we saw each other again."

"You're still very observant," Zayn grinned at her. "Sometimes I get a glimpse of a person's past when I touch them."

Selena was scared to ask what past he saw with hers.

Zayn turned to Harry again, "So you have sight. What do you see?"

There was a pause as Harry contemplated whether to tell him. But he thought it was only fair that he did, "The future."

"What do you see in hers?"

Harry looked at Selena who was already staring back at him, "I don't know."

Selena remembered how Harry told them how he only saw snippets of the future and how it could be mundane details at times.

Harry walked past Zayn and stood next to Selena. Her eyes shone, the Golden proudly reflected for everyone to see.

He brushed a stray hair away from her face as  he locked eyes with her.

"All I know is she is in my future."