"Solomon.." she started but he put a hand in the air.

"Just let me finish, please." Penelope reluctantly closed her mouth. "I know you're a free spirit, and I have no plans to trap you. I just want to share my life with you. Will you let me?"

Money. Stability. Independence. He offered her everything a woman could want in a marriage, including a lift in social rank. If only she wanted a husband. If only she wanted a family. "I'm afraid I must say no. I'm so sorry, Solomon."

He gave her a soft smile. "Could I trouble you for some tea?" Penelope sat across from him and rang for tea and sandwiches. The duke ate rather slowly, as if he actually wanted to prolong his stay. Penelope hoped that wasn't the case. It was rather irritating when they didn't take her rejection with grace. "I'd like us to stay friends."

"I've enjoyed your company these past few weeks. I'd like nothing more than to keep your confidence."

"As have I." He gave her a deep look as he dragged his finger across the length of his plate. "In the spirit of friendship, I must plead that you answer this question with complete sincerity."

"Of course."

"Does she know?"

"Does who know?"

"Does your mother know you'll never get married"

Penelope nearly spat out her tea. "What on earth are you talking about?"

Solomon took a slow bite of another sandwich. "That was worded poorly. I meant that, does your mother know you never want to get married?"

"Of course I want to get married someday!" Penelope exclaimed. "You're letting your hurt ego replace good sense, Your Grace."

"I've known you ever since you were eighteen, Penelope. I know how you are and how you think. And after these past few intimate weeks and my most recent rejection, I know spinsterhood is your goal."

How on earth had he figured her out? "You couldn't be farther from the truth."

"I think I'm the closest to the truth anyone has ever been."

"Nonsense." The words tumbled out in a weak sputter that even Penelope had trouble believing.

"The Countess of Au Printemps is a shrewd woman, so I have trouble believing she has no idea. But then again, it's possible. After all, it's those closest to us that we have trouble seeing. Besides, I find it even harder to believe that your mother would allow you to carry on with this goal if she knew the truth."

"I'm sorry if my rejection pains you, Your Grace. But, I am waiting until I fall in love to marry. I do not love you," Penelope said sharply.

The Duke of Burberry produced a light chuckle. "Goodness. Is that what you tell her too? How does she believe it when it's plain to everyone that you're the opposite of an insipid romantic?"

"You don't have to be a romantic to want a marriage founded on love!"

"I know. That's why I said insipid as well."

Penelope glared at him. "I think it's time you take your leave."

Solomon gave her a careful once over before standing up. "I suppose so. Both of my questions have been answered. No, to my offer of marriage and no to my question about your mother's knowledge regarding your marriage plans."

Penelope felt a slight needle of fear prick her skin. "I trust you won't be approaching my mother with these fantastic claims about my intentions for marriage."

"In the spirit of friendship, I plan to keep that knowledge to myself," Solomon said. He lifted his host's hand and gently kissed it. "Goodbye, Penelope."