Chapter Four

Depuis le début

She paused a moment, trying to catch the words - but nothing was distinguishable except the anger and frustration. Preferring to hear the spy's targets, she would have continued, if Lady Margravine's voice hadn't cut over the argument.

Instantly curious, she went over to the door, getting to her knees and pressing her ear against the wood.

"It was not my doing," Lady Margravine insisted, her voice low and urgent. "Lord Martek was responsible."

"I'm not looking to blame," a smooth, but fiery voice responded, with little care for eavesdroppers. "I need someone to fix it - and you say I can do nothing!"

"I have sought a private audience with Lord Thana," Lady Margravine was on the verge of exasperation; "But I don't how much I can reveal. I don't trust him."

"This is not about your faith," the other woman hissed: "This is a matter of slavery - and you are dismissing it too easily."

Adrastia's interest was piqued. She knew Lord Martek had been instrumental in enforcing the slave trade - perhaps Lady Margravine kept it running after his death. That begged the question: did Kilaix have anything to do with it?

"I am not dismissing it at all," Margravine snapped. "This is an agreement Lord Martek brokered, not I. I am doing all I can to change the deal."

"You're not doing enough!" The other voice protested. There was a swift pause; Adrastia thought she heard pacing behind the door. "Get backing from the other Lords. You can do that, at least."

"How many would believe me?" Margravine retorted. "Rumours would start, and then what supports we do have would desert us entirely."

"Then keep it a private movement," the woman suggested. The silence was damning. Now affronted, the woman argued: "It's simple enough to enter new negotiations."

"It's not simple," Margravine sighed. "He is not willing to change it."

"Then I will speak to him, myself," the other woman spoke hotly. "He will listen to me."

Margravine's reply was harsh: "No. You stay as far away from him as possible. We can't negotiate if he has you."

"But he's here," the other woman whined. "I can only go so far away. He will find me eventually."

"I swear to you, we will work this out," Margravine sounded grave. "We will find his weaknesses and exploit them. If we work fast, we may not need to involve others."

"But what if we do have to?"

Margravine sighed heavily. "I will do my utmost for you. If necessary, I will send word to my sister..."

Dimly, Adrastia became aware of footsteps echoing down the corridor - but the sound disturbed Lady Margravine, for she ceased speaking. Adrastia was left wondering exactly what Margravine's sister could do.

She waited a moment more, but there was nothing more to be heard from behind the door, and the footsteps grew louder.

It was probably just a palace guard, but Adrastia knew it was in her best interest to leave before she was discovered. She might be a good liar, but it would be very difficult to explain why her ear was plastered to Lady Margravine's door.

Back in her own room, she was finally able to relax. She knew - and suspected - more about Lady Margravine, and had clues to Kilaix's involvement. Information he had locked against her, she had uncovered alone.

A theory grew: he was owed a slave by Lady Margravine - probably the woman in the room with her. He needed Adrastia's protection because she was one of the few who could challenge Lady Margravine's authority if he was asked to leave. Of course he wouldn't share this information with her - his claim wasn't legal.