His unwanted thoughts were pushed out of his head when he heard several metal footsteps coming his way. He stood up impossibly straighter, curious as to what was going on.

The first thing he saw was Herval, his eyes automatically went down to his hand, which held the first two fingers out while the rest were clenched in a fist. It was a signal: follow me.

Nikkol waited, anticipation building, as several guards walked behind Herval, steps synchronized and equally measured. Only once the last of the line passed in front of him, his neighbor guard named Tydal who stood a few yards away to Nikkol's left, did Nikkol start moving and joined directly behind Tydal. He couldn't help the excitement. They were going to fight. They were going to help.

As they passed Setial's room, strange feelings coursed through Nikkol. He felt the urge to go in, even though he knew they would be empty, on the off chance that Setial would be there so he could say what could very well be one last goodbye. He pushed that down and concentrated on his going forward.

Herval led them down the halls and out the northeastern enternace, where he stopped and turned to address them all. "It has been decided that you will help fight." He said, his voice strong and easily heard, likely from his practice giving the daily announcements, which they didn't even have that morning. "It was a difficult decision made by King Pythal and Prince Ezorah, who figured it would be better to try and ensure that nobody got into the castle than trying to directly protect those inside it." So it had been up for debate, those inside would now have little to no protection. "Keep in mind that you are still the final wall of protection. If Avaviles breaks through, then Melle help us all." Everyone stood in silence a moment to absorb what was said. Their resolves toughened. They would not fall! "Only guards in sections four, five, and seven are posted at this entrance. There is no one else to help you, we are stretched too thin. Don't let Takkoria down. It needs you." With that Herval turned and left, presumably to go rally the other sections to where they'd be assigned, there was very little time after all.

The guards stood silently, all facing out with their backs towards the closed doors behind them. They were lucky in that they got to look at the beautiful public garden, the other soldiers and knights who were on the line ahead of them quite a distance away but still visible. Of course, that meant that everyone was expecting Avaviles to break through the wall.

Even though it was silent, Nikkol could hear the loud, unsteady breathing all around him. They were nervous. "Screw it, I will not spend my last few moments of peace in silence." The guard standing next to Nikkol said. Nikkol recognized him as Paval, his neighbor guard to his right. He turned his head to Nikkol, who turned to look at him. Looking only straight ahead would only hurt them now. "You know we are going to die on this day. Only four, five, and seven? On a whole entrance?"

Nikkol knew what he was talking about. He was in section seven, as was Paval. Between the three sections there were only about thirty guards. If the fighting made it all the way to them, they would be screwed. They would only delay the inevitable. Not even the weapons situated at the top of the castle would save them. "If we are to die, we will die as men. A warriors death, which is more than I expected for myself."

Paval nodded in agreement with Nikkol. "To die with honor. I always assumed I'd die half-buried in the prettiest woman that would agree to bed me in what would be my old age."

"Pretty wouldn't be a word to describe that woman."

Paval and Nikkol snorted in laughter at what Nikkol said, along with a few other guards. Nikkol hadn't thought about how he'd die. Before, he'd have thought that he'd die normally with a woman he'd call his wife and several children of his own. After meeting Setial, he was sure they'd be discovered and he'd be burned or beheaded. Now, his fate seemed clear.

Even though Nikkol had only shared a drink with Paval a few times, he was an alright enough man. A perfectly fine man to die fighting beside.

"I'd imagine that mugs of the finest ale and fires that could warm the coldest of hearts waits for us in the afterlife." Paval said, his voice far off, Nikkol couldn't say whether Paval actually believed that or was trying to comfort himself.

"And all the women we could ever possibly want, waiting for us with their legs already spread." A guard behind them said. Nikkol couldn't place the voice and didn't turn around, so he didn't know exactly who.

Jaral, a guard standing on the other side of Paval, sighed. "I've been married to my Keriah for seven years. I don't know whether to hope she will be there waiting for me or not." The houses around the castle were pretty much unprotected, the little fighters they had were tasked with guarding the castle. Many people decided to not go into the castle for various reasons, and they didn't let that many people in. More than just men would die that day. Nikkol's heart went out to Keriah and every other woman and child who would likely suffer at the hands of their enemy.

He didn't know what really waited for them in the afterlife, didn't even know what he wanted. The perfect situation for him would be just in Setial's room, the prince waiting for him, with the tavern filled with his friends on the other side of the door, all happy to see him. Of course, he'd spend very little time with them. But he knew, if that would be the case, Setial and Edgal would have to die, and he wanted them to survive. He wanted to survive himself, but he really wanted them to live too.

Nikkol opened his mouth to speak again, but found words dying in his mouth. The uncomfortable silence snapped through all of them. The sound was distant, but unmistakable. The clashing of metal and the screaming of men.

Swallowing down his suddenly dry throat, Nikkol's grip on his sword tightened until his knuckles turned white.

The battle had begun.