i and my annabel lee-

' THE FINAL BATTLE BEGINS

' THE FINAL BATTLE BEGINS. '

ANNABEL LEE WAS EXHAUSTED.

She could hear the sound of the communicators from others, but Bucky and her's earpiece buzzed as Sam told them he was near. Eduardo couldn't hear him, but Annabel regulated the information back to him. "What's the plan?" Bucky asked as they scanned the perimeter.

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open."

"Yeah, well, it could be anybody," Bucky responded, two soldiers moving out of the way for them.

"And by the way, I called in some backup." They could practically hear the smirk on Sam's face.

"Excuse me, sir, are you supposed to be here?" A masculine voice asked, making them all turn. Before any of them could quip back, the face distorted and turned in Sharon. Annabel smiled warmly, biting her tongue from bursting her name out. "It's me."

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" Bucky asked, but Annabel looked at him, offended on her behalf.

"Relax. No one's looking for me here." She drew them in.

"Is that Sharon I hear?" Sam asked.

"Unfortunately."

"Hey, Sam." Sharon grinned. "I thought I'd get the band back together."

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here."

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be, anyway." She shrugged.

"Depends on the therapist," Bucky commented.

"They'll move on the building soon. What's the status of the ancient ones?"

"Sam, neither of us can die, so if you keep on calling us the ancient ones, I'm going to kick your ass." Annabel smiled.

"Ready, then." They could hear wings sloshing overhead, and Annabel caught a glimpse of Sam before he fell into the building. "What's going on on your end?"

"Nothing. All quiet." Bucky responded.

"No one's moving toward the building," Sharon added.

"Karli's not coming in, she's trying to force everybody out." Sam realized. "It's a misdirect. We gotta keep everybody inside." They could hear Sam grunting on the other side.

Annabel turned to Bucky and Sharon. "Eduardo and I are gonna go to the other side of the building, round up the cattle there. Stay safe," Bucky nodded and they split. Annabel led Eduardo down the side of the building, holding up her gun for protection.

They could hear the overhead directing everybody into the different areas, but Annabel tried to get to the parking garage before they could. A hand stuck out, "Queen Annabel, it's for you." An unknown person told her. Annabel grabbed the phone, confused.

"I don't expect you to understand what I'm fighting for," Karli's voice rang through her ears. "After all, you ruled a country rather than destroy them."

"Karli, it's good to finally hear your voice." Annabel walked as she held the phone, silently nodding for Eduardo to begin hijacking one of the cars. "As much as you hope for your statement to be true, I don't think you can really judge someone until you've had a first impression."

"I know people like you."

"Time's quickly change, Karli." Annabel smiled, closing the door as she got into the driver's seat. "Besides, I believe it's unfair to judge someone based on their past." She could hear Karli's scoff. "Now, Karli, it's been a lovely chat, but—"

"Wait," Karli demanded.

"I'm afraid I have to go."

"Wait!"

Annabel hung up the phone, throwing it out of the window. "Let's drive." She smiled, the tire rubber burned and screeched, filling up her senses as the little Corolla glided against the pavement. They jerked slightly as the tires hit the curb, skidding against the sidewalk.

Eduardo held onto the roof handle, mumbling, "Oh shit," As his body jerked with the car. The blaze of fire reflected against their eyes as they watched Bucky try to pry open one of the vans filled with hostages. Annabel shut off the car, her eyes widening as she saw John walk toward Karli. He fabricated an entirely new Captain America suit and shield.

"We need to help," Annabel told him, slamming the doors shut and running up to Bucky. "Eduardo, help Bucky pry this off." She told him. Eduardo nodded, putting his extra muscle into trying to rip off the doors. The doors swung open, much to their relief. The Flag Smashers jumped John, his shield his only protection.

Annabel looked at them, not knowing entirely what to do. She shoved her body against one of them, quickly realizing that it probably wasn't best to pick a fight against one with super soldier abilities. Annabel cocked her gun, the ringing blaring out as she narrowly missed their head. She grabbed a crowbar, throwing it toward them. The Flag-Smasher caught it in his hand, bending the metal. "You're showing off." Annabel bitterly commented.

Bucky rammed into another one of them, that one being Karli. Annabel watched his body tumble downward and took the distraction to her advantage as she shot the Smasher in the shoulder. "That's a warning shot." She huffed, moving her hair out of her face. She took on some of the others, detecting the most non-lethal areas to shoot them if needed.

John choked out one of them, anger bubbling and radiating off of his body. Annabel looked at Eduardo, who dropped the unconscious bodies of two Flag Smashers to the ground. She looked at the truck Karli took over, John pulling it back with his strength.

Multiple of the Flag Smashers tried to stop him, but John fell to the ground. "Shit!" Annabel scurried upward, grabbing onto the back of the truck and straining. "Help!" Eduardo nodded, pulling it alongside her. A new force from the front began pushing some of the unbearable weight off of them.

"Eduardo, Annie, that you helping me out?"

Sam's teasing tone made Annabel smile. "Yes, it's us."

"We've got it from here."

Annie and Eduardo let go, and they climbed through the abandoned inside of the hollowed-out building, making it to the bottom. Just as they did, the shield bounced against all of the Flag Smashers, dropping them to the ground. Sam landed, in new attire. Karli took off her mask, looking betrayed. "You of all people bought into that bullshit?"

"I'm trying something different, maybe you should do the same."