Chapter 10- The Mark

Alright guys and gals... here's Chapter 10, I left out a chunk about the Animal... on purpose... It'll be in the next chapter for sure... I was going to make it part of this chapter but this part of the story just came out... so here it is!

Please comment and rate! I know you're reading it, my page says you do! I just want some feed back... am I boring you...do you love it... or do I not upload enough!?! Any feed back you have I'll take it!  And Please vote... I'd really appreciate it!

Peace, Love, and all that good stuff...

Sophie B.

Chapter 10

            It was barely morning. The sun was so low on the horizon that the light barely cut through the thick trees. I blinked adjusting to the dim glow. Everything was still now that Ryuu wasn’t thrashing about he was now stretched out with his belly on the ground looking at me intently. He crawled forward and touched my hand with his nose. As soon as he did there were brilliant colors and flashes of the faces of everyone in our camp. They repeated over and over glints of everyone from different angles and in different lighting. I couldn’t do anything but watch unblinkingly. I saw my face flashing with the others, but more frequently. After a while I saw myself peering over the edge of an eggshell. I could tell that I was seeing through Ryuu’s eyes. It was weird to watch myself but that feeling only intensified, as I looked myself in the eye. When I locked eyes with myself I was overwhelmed by an emotion that I had never experienced before. It was more powerful than anything I had ever experienced, so strong that I dropped to my knee and squeezed my eyes shut so that I couldn’t see anymore. When I reopened my eyes I was back in the forest, eye level with Ryuu. I watched his eyes to go completely green before they continued to swirl their normal blue and green.

            “Was that you? Did you… show me that?”

            He nudged me in the chest with his nose gently.

            “Brilliant.” I looked at him in awe. Over night he grew 3 feet and his color had begun to spread further on his body. His black scales almost reached to his belly and the green and blue flecks where more predominant.

            “Is that how you… feel? Is it that strong all the time?” I kept asking questions, mostly because I was still in shock by what happened. I was pacing back and forth thinking of where I might have felt that emotion before. I couldn’t. It was more than adoration, admiration, even more than love. It was an emotion that I could not feel. The few seconds that I felt it overwhelmed me so much that I could barely stand. If this is what Ryuu felt when he saw me, was it as strong for everyone else? I stopped pacing. Ryuu was sitting where I left him tail swaying, watching me patiently. I walked to sit face to face with him.

            “Show me more please.” I held out my hand palm up and he put his nose in my hand.

            I’m not sure how long we stayed there going over every moment he’d seen in his short life. We probably would have sat there all day if an overwhelming hunger hadn’t panged my stomach. It was so strong I would have eaten a rabbit raw. When I realized that the feeling was much too strong to be human I pulled away from Ryuu.

            “You’re hungry!” I jumped up realizing that it was after sunrise.

            I started to make the morning fire as Ryuu searched the outskirts of the camp for food. I was humming while mindlessly preparing breakfast when I heard it, the awful screeching in the distance. It chilled me to the bone when I recognized it, that horrid sound of the animal that attacked the Sector. I froze not breathing, suddenly wishing that we had never left the Sector. I heard it again, this time it was closer. I dropped everything and ran to the nearest tent. I shook Remil and Erman awake and scrambled to the next tent. I reached the entrance as another shriek echoed through the trees. I found Inalma awake and paralyzed with fear and Vera looked at me with disbelief.