5 - Field Trip Gone Wrong

Start from the beginning

Not today though.

You'll wake up in the middle night, panicking about the events you just went through.

Your hands would grip your throat because it would feel like something was stopping you from breathing and then you'd make your way to either your parents' room or your brother's.

Because you know they'd keep you safe from the horrors of reality.

You'd even have multiple nights where sleep would evade you, but you'd willingly choose that over having those horrible nightmares. Reliving those frightening experiences night after night.

The monster Shigaraki brought with him was terrifying.

It was just as big as All Might, eyes void of life as it listened to every command from your captor. No emotions, no reaction, just an obedient dog. But unlike dogs who still had a soul, that thing did not. Yet the most gruesome part?

The brain.

That mass of whatever brains were made of was on display for all to see and if you stared long enough, you could see it pulsing in sync with its heart.

A heart with no soul.

Those nights were the worst. When you dreamed of the monster, the Noumu, almost killing Eraserhead.

Fighting All Might.

So close to ending your brother.

It was those nights you got out of bed and knocked on Katsuki's door, where he would let you in. He'd let you stay the night with him, saying nothing as your silent tears soaked his shirt.

In the end, the rest of Yuuei's staff, all pro-heroes of course, arrived. The League of Villains retreated.

Ambulances showed up and sirens sounded. Those who were injured were taken to the hospital, like Eraserhead and NO.13, or healed by Recovery Girl, like Deku.

But it was over now.

You were safe, Katsuki was safe. Everything was fine now.

Then why can't you breathe? Why are you still shaking? Why are you still so scared?

It felt like your heart was going to beat out of your chest, the world was starting to spin, and you were crying.

There were so many tears, how could there be so much water in your little body.

"I can't– I don't–"

You couldn't even get the words out.

It was all over, why were you still so scared?

Your brother held you close as you gripped onto his hero costume tightly. You didn't understand, you didn't know what was happening.

What was going on?

"She's having a panic attack, dearie," a small voice said. "It's a common response to the ordeal she's just been through. Highly stressful situations can trigger them."

"Then how do I fucking fix it?!" Katsuki demanded, not caring about cursing in front of you at the moment. "What the hell do I do?!"

He was scared.

You were shaking, crying, hyperventilating to the point he thought you were going to pass out. Your palms sparked against his costume. It didn't hurt him, but he knew you had better control over your quirk, even if you were so little.

What worried him most was that your fireworks were inky black, a color he had never seen you emit before.

"You need to calm yourself first, dearie," Recovery Girl said as she noted how panicked Katsuki was, yet cradled you as if you were made of glass. "It'll only cause her more stress."

"Okay," he whispered. "Okay."

"Good." The Youthful Heroine nodded before turning her attention to you. "Now, sweetheart, you need to slow down your breathing or you'll cause yourself to pass out. Take a deep breath for 5 seconds." You inhaled and she nodded. "Good, very good. Now, hold it for 5 seconds and then let it out for 5 more."

You did as she instructed, finding yourself breathing a bit easier. Even if it took a couple of times.

"You're doing a fantastic job." Recovery Girl smiled softly. "Now go ahead and repeat that for as long as you need to, just to collect your thoughts." Your eyes found the older woman's and you nodded.

"That's very good," she said as she nodded. "Now, I'm going to have you do a few things for me, okay?"

"O-okay," you choked out.

"Wonderful, now, what are five things you can see?" You opened your mouth to speak, but she shook her head. "Don't force yourself to talk, sweetheart. You can just point at them."

You pointed. Recovery Girl, her cane, the ground, your outside shoes, and Katsuki.

"Very good, sweetheart. What are four things you can feel? Touch-wise."

Your dress, your jacket, Kastuki, and–

"The wind," you said quietly. Your heartbeat had slowed down a bit and tears stopped falling. A good sign.

"You're doing excellent. This time I want you to try to keep talking, okay?"

You nod slowly. "Okay."

"What are three things you can hear?"

"You, the other hero kids, and Katsu-nii." He actually wasn't very loud, you could just hear his breathing since he held you so close.

Recovery Girl nodded. "What are two things you can smell?"

"Smoke. And nitroglycerin. Burnt sugar, I guess."

"That was very good, sweetheart." She held out her hand, revealing a lollipop. An All Might mystery flavor one at that. "Very last thing, you can have this and then tell me one thing you taste."

You took the lollipop gingerly before taking the wrapper off and proceeding to eat it. "Butterscotch," you mumbled.

"Good?" You nodded and she chuckled as you finally relaxed while slowly working on your lollipop.

"What was that?" Katsuki asked, slightly taken back.

"The 54321 Method, dearie," she explained. "It's a very common grounding technique to help with panic attacks. Just have her breath in for 5 seconds, hold it for 5, and breath out for another 5 seconds.

"Once she calms down enough, have her list some things. 5 things she sees, 4 things she feels, 3 things she hears, 2 she smells, and 1 she tastes." The heroine handed Katsuki some candy, who took it slightly begrudgingly. "Have some gummies, dearie. Your imouto isn't the only one who was just in a stressful situation."

Check my bio to a link to my fic discord!