Chapter 1 - The Invite

Zhōng looked up into the stars over his uncle's home. They twinkle in the dark void of space forming constellations of his imagination. During his travels when he was alone, he often looked up to see them before lightly falling asleep. "If I knew you would be up here, star gazing again, I would have told you to go since you were invited." stated Uncle Tyron. He was the leader of the Ninja Black Market and a well-known smith who people knew as Mr. Fields. He grew a medium-sized black beard as gray hairs peeked in spots in his mane.

"Rain is coming in tonight, not a good way to start a camping trip." explained Zhōng as he watched a shooting star pass over them. He was fifteen years old and went by the name of Dual Bladed Ninja in the black market. His dark blond hair was short and shaggy as the wind blew over his scarless face. His eyes were dull, but when he was determined for something, they were like staring at dark blue fires where demons waited. He carried two swords, a Longus on his left hip with the Ninja Sword on his back hip, and a knife, a gift from his passed-away mother. He felt regret for declining but relief for what could have happened.

"Thanks for inviting me, your majesty." thanked Jane to Princess Zhen. They were out in a meadow setting up camp under the guidance of Captain Howin. While the boys went to find wood for a fire, the girls were finishing up their tents.

"You're welcome, I just hope our last guest will arrive soon." said Princess Zhen. She was fifteen years old and became the princess after her mother took over the throne. Her silver blond hair was plain but beautiful and her red eyes which were once dull came back to life. She thanks Truman the Dual Bladed Ninja for demonstrating courage to her as it was him that sparked her curiosity again. She decided to go on a camping trip and invited her betrothed and Truman along knowing it would two boys and two girls and the captain.

"Let's face it, he's way too busy doing things, he doesn't have time for this." stated Lord Zào, returning with some wood.

"You never know, he perhaps has to travel from the other side of the empire. I would feel exhausted if I did a job out there and then had to come back to my place of operation just to ride towards here. And I would feel sorry for my horse." stated Captain Howin. He was near his thirties and was in charge of the empress's royal guards. He carried a Spriggan sword around his hip and a spear across his back. For ten years, he guarded Former Prince Zhōng and Princess Zhen from any dangers.

"Isn't their horses bred differently, captain?" asked Lord Zào.

"They are, they're bred to run forever and rumors say they only let their owner ride them. But while they can go a long distance doesn't mean they should. If Truman is surely coming, he perhaps picked a spot to rest for a while before continuing his travels." said Captain Howin.

"We should see the stars tonight, correct, captain?" asked Jane.

"We should, considering it's clear skies right now." stated Captain Howin as he begin searching for a spot to build a fire.

Later that night, after they finish eating campfire food and telling ghost stories, they dozed the fire and went somewhere to gaze up at the stars. "There's so many," exclaimed Princess Zhen as they lay on a hill.

"Do sailors seriously use them to navigate?" questioned Lord Zào.

"Not just sailors, soldiers and well-seasoned travelers used the stars to travel by night as well." explained Captain Howin.

"But there's so many, how do you know which direction you're going?" asked Jane.

"We try to find certain stars that are seen every clear night no matter what time of the year. There're the north, the south, the east, and the west stars." replied Captain Howin.

"So where's north?" asked Lord Zào.

"North is..." began Captain Howin as he searched for the star.

"North is that star," said a familiar voice. They looked down to see a boy in a cloak pointing behind them. They turned around and saw more stars coming from the horizon, a shiny one was just barely peeking over as Truman pointed it. "Think of it as the tip of the Ninja Sword being held up by Daiichi, the First Wielder of the Ninja Blade." continued Truman as he turn to point out the others. "Over there to find the east star, follow the merchant's road in the sky as they go east. For south is the crest of the Old Empire as its beak points to it. And for the west, look inside the herd of stars since it represents the ruins of Daiichi City. Look for the shinest one which marks where the last of his line will be buried."

"Where do you see that?" asked Princess Zhen, trying to figure out how he saw it.

"You made that up, I don't see any of it." stated Lord Zào.

Truman shook his head and said, "You have to connect the stars to see them, look up." they all looked up as Truman begin to describe them. "Each clutter could be connected to form something, someone told me that the wielders of the Ninja Sword watch us from there as they dance in a clockwise position."

"When you say dance, you mean like a clock?" asked Captain Howin as he begin to see the imagery Truman describe.

"Precisely, they don't move from where they are, but all around them move. The stars we see now, won't be in the same position in two months. In fact, in all fifteen months, they are in a different place." replied Truman.

"I didn't know you like to watch the stars." said Princess Zhen.

Truman shrugged and said, "It's something to look at as I travel."

"Anyway, what are you doing here?" asked Lord Zào looking back down at him.

"I believe it's obvious by now, I'm invited." declared Truman.

"What?" said both Jane and Lord Zào.

"It would make it even, my lord. I was sure you'll bring her though it was just to be us." pouted Princess Zhen.

"But she is my guest," stated Lord Zào.

"And the Dual Bladed Ninja is mine." replied Princess Zhen.

"We were even before he came here, you know." grumbled Lord Zào.

"I'm only here to keep you guys safe, so I don't count, my lord." stated Captain Howin, taking away Lord Zào's last excuse. He saw that Princess Zhen was pleading to him to side with her.

"This is so not fair," complained Lord Zào.

"Well, life outside of lordship isn't, get used to it." stated Truman before walking away.

"Do you need a hand with your tent?" called out Captain Howin.

"Didn't bring one, I was coming from a job across the empire and didn't have time to go home." replied Truman as he continued to walk.

The party watched him go before looking at each other. "I suppose I can try to find room for him with the other guards." suggested Captain Howin.

"We already have plenty sleeping in there, and there's no way he'll agree." said Princess Zhen. "We have two tents, why don't we put we girls in one and the boys in the other."

"No, no, no, I won't agree to that." declared Lord Zào.

"Yet your perfectly fine with Jane," thought Princess Zhen.

"Also, your majesty, your tent is only meant to hold one person. Though mine can hold two, yours would be crowded." reasoned Lord Zào.

"Then I guess, we'll have to find a substitute for him tomorrow." sighed Princess Zhen.

"Serves, him right, he agreed to life being unfair." said Jane.

"I'm sure he has a special cloak to keep warm tonight, otherwise he'll be soaked with the rain." stated Captain Howin.

"How do you know it's going to rain?" asked Lord Zào.

"Look up in the stars, they'll tell you that as well." replied Captain Howin as he led them back to camp.