Chapter Three: The Dive into the Road Called Fate

Pov: Shiou Ryousetsu

"Congratulations, you've passed. I'm Shiou Ryousetsu and I look forward to working with you~." I sang as my new dog passed out. "I'm grateful that I learned illusion incantations. I still am quite certain that it's useless compared to combative type incantations. Still though," I began to think to myself before bending and beginning to heal the small cut on Saku's wrist, "he didn't have any hesitation at all. If I was late with the incantation even by a second he wouldn't have a hand anymore and I'm not wasting my mana on the likes of him. Overall I'm glad my new dog is so obedient! He seemed useless at first so I'm glad I didn't kill him like I was going to." I smiled to myself before once again picking Saku up like baggage and beginning to walk towards the northern exit of the wisteria forest. Hours pass as I continue to walk, luckily there hasn't been anymore toxic fog rolling in. Soon enough I found a place decent enough to set up camp and quickly set it up after placing Saku to rest in a nearby tree. I couldn't have my new pet eaten by a wild animal now could I? Before I could get the fire started however I saw Saku walking over looking somewhat confused.

"Why was I in a tree? How is my hand still here?" He asked me as he glanced around to see his surroundings. I clasped my hands together, the sudden noise startling Saku, and began a normal grade fire incantation.

"If you'd rather me leave you to get eaten next time it'd be a pleasure. The hand you cut off was an illusion of mine. Now please do come eat now." I answered, turning around to begin cooking several fish I'd caught before I sent the guild hall in Anju ablaze. "I'd like to do that again sometime, after all it was quite fulfilling to do." I thought to myself letting out a content sigh at the memory of the burning build.

"So sir, what do you have planned for us?" Saku inquired as he ate his two fish.

"I'd like to go to the City of Shanghai, the Capital of the Mahono Clan. I'm not entirely sure why however. I just feel like there's something there I'm forgetting that's fairly important." I say letting myself relax slightly due to an instinct I didn't know was there.

"You seem more relaxed just talking about it. Maybe you left a lover there or something." Saku spoke clearly without thinking much of it. Suddenly a small realization hit me, "I left a dead body near Shanghai City. Though that wouldn't explain why I felt more at ease when just simply mentioning it. I suppose I'll leave that to my future self."

"I'm not the type to get romantically involved with someone so don't say such nonsense." I replied with a huff.

"That's what everyone says before they actually fall for someone. I'll bet my life's fortune that you'll end up with someone that's also a psychopath or at least someone who's obsessive!" Saku laughed at his own comment. I quickly shot him a glare.

"It seems you adapt well. It also seems like you forgot I could end your life with a single hand." I spoke quietly but just loud enough to be heard.

"Oh no trust me I remember that. It's hard to forget it when you, as I said earlier, burnt down about sixty-five percent of my clan's capital. I'm just actively choosing to ignore the fact I'm nearing my death." He spoke with a closed eye smile. I clicked my tongue and began chanting in my head reasons why it was worth keeping him alive. We continued to have several conversations, more Saku ranting at me than anything, and I learned absolutely nothing of value. 

"I'm heading to sleep sir, see you in the morning?" He said as more of a question. I nodded my head just hoping he'd see it. I was completely drained out, I don't think I've talked to someone so much before in almost seventy-four years. I chuckled to myself thinking of how much fun it'd be to rip Saku's tongue out and forcefully feed it to him. I then fell asleep on the ground with Saku somewhere nearby.

"Morning Sir," Saku lightly spoke as he woke me up. Being the wonderful person I am, I only smashed his head into the ground, physically, once. Illusion incantations do seem to have many purposes after all.

"Please don't wake me up again." I smiled as I continued the walk towards Shanghai City. Saku quickly spoke out a quiet "Understood" before jogging after me to catch up. After half the day of just walking we reached our destination.

"So where do we go now? All I see are cliffs." Saku asks, walking closer to the edge with me close behind.

"What do you think we'll do?" I ask with my usual smile that I wore when I was about to do something people find themselves incapable of doing. Saku thought for a moment before stopping to look around.

"I'm not entirely sure but is there like a hidden passageway here?" He says seemingly excited. However once he stopped looking around and saw the smile plastered on my face he took a step back.

"Your incorrect. Try again." I say walking closer as he continues to back up until eventually he was trapped between jumping off the ledge and me.

"Please don't tell me...we are going to jump right?" Saku inquired, letting out a couple of shaky breaths. I nodded showing that is what I came here to do. I frowned as I saw him just laugh a bit like he was expecting something worse. Before I could give him any time to prepare himself I shoved him off the cliff. Saku screamed at first, but eventually looked like he was having the time of his life.

"HEY SHIOU THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!" Saku shouted over the loud winds. My eyes slightly widened when I heard my name being used and saw the grin on his face. For a second, only for a second, I thought I could live happily with just what I was doing.

"YEAH THIS IS REALLY FUN ISN'T IT!" I shouted back, completely caught up in the moment. I began laughing as we continued to free fall. However we eventually reached the ground but before we landed I made sure to use an incantation of wind to catch us. We continued to laugh like idiots even after we reached the ground. This. This moment became one of the best memories I'd share with Saku. But as the saying goes, all good things must eventually end.

"SHIOU IS THAT YOU!?!" An all too familiar voice shouted. I quickly turned around to see who it was. The first thing I saw was the blood that covered him, at this moment my only thoughts were, "Who's this guy and why does he know me?"

Words: 1185