"Mama." Penelope's tiny arms wrapped around her waist as she hugged her tightly. "You're not alone. I'm here."

Cale's heart warmed, malice fading as she embraced her daughter. "I know, Penny. You're not alone either. I'll always be here."

Penelope's grip tightened as the tiny child's shoulders shook and Cale petted her gently as she contemplated what could be upsetting her. Was she jealous? It was the first time Penelope would have seen Cale be kind to anyone but her.

She kissed the top of her daughter's head. Whatever it was, Penelope would tell her when she was ready. Her daughter really was a fiercely independent sort and there was no persuading her to talk about something she wasn't ready to.

She'd have to spoil Penelope rotten when they reached Puzzle City.

The sloppy rock towers adorning the streets might hold significant historical value but Penelope couldn't help but view them as just what they were. Rocks.

She was interested in seeing some of the older towers though rather than the pebble towers built relatively recently by the citizens. Penelope hadn't previously considered it but there was something pretty fascinating about investigating the history of a completely different world.

She didn't think she'd really have the opportunity to explore her love for archaeology as a princess but she could at least indulge in some of the interesting historical aspects that could be learned through research and visiting historical sights. The entire thing would have put her in an exceptionally good mood overall.

The trouble was that the person escorting her for the day was not her beloved mother. Or even the entourage of servants and knights that she was apathetic to.

No.

Alberu Crossma stood at her side as they proceeded through the streets surrounded by their guards. The annoying bastard had tried to hold her hand no less than two times and had only given up when she'd told him it was disgusting.

"Where would you like to visit first, Penelope?" Alberu asked, looking down at her and almost stretching out his hand to attempt a third time before apparently thinking better of it.

Penelope gave him a dirty scowl. "I'd rather be alone." She emphasized the word, watching his flinch with satisfaction.

Cale had not returned to normal in the day it took to reach the city and she'd actually only seemed more affectionate towards this manipulative monster. Penelope hated the idea that her mother was being coerced or emotionally manipulated into liking him. So much so that she'd been the one to suggest this outing. Pressuring her mother to rest in the hotel while Alberu and Penelope explored the city.

"...I'm sorry, Penelope." Alberu said and he really did sound sincerely remorseful.

Penelope didn't particularly care. Remorse was exactly what he ought to be feeling. She hoped he rotted in the emotion. "Am I the one you should be apologizing to?"

"I apologized to your mother as well."

Penelope clenched her tiny fists. There truly was no correct answer for Alberu to say. If he'd stated that he hadn't apologized, she'd have hated him being unapologetic in his abuse. If he apologized, it only fed into the narrative that he was manipulating Cale by pretending to care.

"I actually had a question about her..." Alberu started and Penelope had to calm herself from expressing the venomous emotions that cropped up.

'So you want to use me for your fucking games?' She had no interest in being the tool for an abusive cheating murdering dirtbag.