But me? I was thinking of try-outs for Track. If I was lucky, my friend from School- Courtland  would be there too. He and I loved running for our middle school.

~

We make it to homeroom and huddle up into the seats toward the back, right under the AC vent.

School air circulation is ass, we wanted to make sure we'd be cool for the next hour.

Our teacher sets up a presentation for the "Back to School/New School  Year" welcome wagon as more students roll in. 

"Do you think Cesar is in this class?" Ruby's eyes darted around the room, scanning it for the shaggy haired Diaz.

"I hope not.." Monse mumbled. Do I believe her?

Absolutely not.  She's holding a grudge definitely but the way this girl cares for people, I bet they'll be cool in two weeks. 

Do I understand why she's so forgiving? Again- Absolutely not. 

"No way- Y/n! Scooch over!" I look up and see Courtland headed my way. 

"BRO- COURT! YOU'RE HERE!" I jump up and hug him. "I knew we were both going out for track but the same home room??" 

He smiled at me "Yep- does the name of the teach sound familiar?"

I look at the board. Mr. Brookes.

"He's the coach for track? Right" I looked to him for confirmation.

He nods as his smile grew wider "Yessirrr, AND he's my uncle."

"So what I', hearing is- We got this try-out in the bag?" I grinned

Courtland rolled his eyes. "Of course you'd look for the hookup in this situation. Listen- I'M not even a shoo in- and I'm related to the dude. You better work ya ASS off in the try out."

"You know I will. As much as a freebie would be appreciated, ion need it" I looked at my hands as if to check a non-existent manicure.

"Okay Miss Ego Almighty" He chuckled. I shove him lightly. 

"It isn't a ego, when you know you're untouchable at what you do."  I corrected him.

"Preach" I hear a voice chime. A very familiar voice.

"Is that-" I started

"Latrelle.." Monse groans.

"I thought he wasn't coming this year" Ruby whispered frantically.

"Think again homie" Latrelle leans toward our huddle.

"Wassup Lil Finney"

"Who's that addressed to?" Monse quizzed.

"Your cousin." Latrelle pulls a chair up near mine and Courtland's desk. 

"So I share a homeroom with ya'll... interesting. Where's Cesar?"

"Next question?" I deadpanned.

"Wait what happened with-" Courtland began

"Next. Question."

"That was the next question" I poke his neck to which he flinched.