"I had plans to make lasagna tonight," she continued, her tone lightening in an attempt to distract me. "It's your favorite."

"Sounds good," I replied absentmindedly, my mind elsewhere.

"You really should pay more attention, [Name]. It's like talking to a wall sometimes," she said, a hint of exasperation in her voice.

"Sorry, Mom. Just... a lot on my mind," I admitted, my voice softening.

As we approached in school gate, a mix of anticipation and anxiety flooded my mind. I pulled the cap further down, attempting to find solace in its shelter.

The path ahead seemed daunting, uncertain, but deep down, I knew that I had to face it, with or without the protective layers I wore.

"Mrs. Po," my mother greeted, her voice filled with warmth.

"Mrs. Parker, we've been waiting for you" Mrs. Po responded politely.

Mrs. Po looked at me, and I offered a timid smile in return. As I glanced inside the school premises, my expression shifted to one of discomfort as I spotted the boy who had attacked me in the park, standing with his friends.

"And this is my daughter, [Name]," my mother introduced me to Mrs. Po with a wave.

Mrs. Po smiled warmly. "Nice to meet you, [Name]. We only wear uniforms on uniform days," she informed us kindly, and I felt a surge of embarrassment wash over me.

"Oh, it's my fault. I just wanted to complain that you gave her the wrong uniform because she's a girl," my mother spoke up, trying to defend my choice of attire.

I mustered a weak smile, feeling a mix of gratitude and unease at her intervention.

"And no hats are permitted," Mrs. Po added, noticing my cap.

My mother quickly snatched the hat from my head, finally taking notice of the makeup on my face. "[Name], is that makeup?" she exclaimed, holding my cheek gently. "And that black eye... what happened?"

"I... ran into a pole," I stammered, cursing myself for being so terrible at lying.

"Fighting is not tolerated here," Mrs. Po stated firmly, addressing the issue at hand.

"You heard her, she ran into a pole," my mother defended, pulling me aside for a private conversation.

"Mom, please don't start," I pleaded, avoiding eye contact.

"Tell me, [Name], what really happened?" she insisted, concern etched on her face.

"I... I ran into a pole," I repeated, hoping to end the discussion.

"Okay, you ran into a pole. But if anyone did hurt my baby girl, I'm going to take care of them," she declared fiercely, planting a kiss on my forehead.

As we  followed Mrs. Po into the school, my mother's words echoing in my mind. "I love you," she proclaimed loudly, causing my cheeks to blush with shyness.

"Mom!" I whispered, my face turning even redder.

"I said I loved you!"

"I love you too," I replied, my voice filled with warmth, as we entered the school together, her words offering comfort and reassurance.

Mrs. Po led us down the hallway. "Thank you for coming in today, Mrs. Parker. [Name], we need to discuss the uniform situation. Normally, we don't have these kinds of mix-ups."