Kitty accepted it. "Alright," she sighed. "Let us rise before mama sends up a search party. Sunday is always such a production."

"Mama won't expect you to attend church, especially today. I could go downstairs and ask her if you're allowed to lie in," Little J offered.

Kitty shook her head. "If I do not appear those who have already gossiped will expect that I am ashamed of something, I'm sure Sir Walter has already labelled me a seductress to those who will believe his lies. I won't cower."

Little J appeared murderous. "Papa will set the misinformed straight, I promise you that. The law may not be fair to females, Kitty, but we do have men on our side that will fight for us."

Kitty smiled gratefully at her sister as she rose from bed as well. She slipped into her wrap and fastened it at her waist. "Sometimes I dream of a time when women and men will be equal. Wouldn't that be grand? We could own land and vote and attend university," Kitty thought wildly. "But it is ridiculous, isn't it? We live in a world of ignorance."

Little J nodded. "I feel the exact same way. It will never happen though, men rule the world, and while men rule there will be no rights for women."

Kitty shook her head. "No, I disagree. There are some men that listen to what women have to say. Like papa, he listen's too all of us and lets us make our own decisions. It is little steps like that that bring us closer."

"I hope you're right. I would like to see my children one day attending university if they wish," Little J sighed. She ran her fingers through her untidy blonde hair and tried to untangle the knots. "I suppose I'd better go and dress ready for church. Do you want me to help you or send for one of the maids?"

Kitty shook her head, not wanting any of the maids to see her bruises. "No, I'll be alright by myself, don't you worry," she smiled at Little J.

Little J departed her bedchamber and Kitty immediately went over to her wardrobe to find a gown that she could wear that did not require assistance to put on. As she examined each gown she was angered to find that so many had buttons all the way down the back. She found one ivory coloured gown that had a corset - like back. She could feasibly tie the gown up herself.

She laid the gown out on the bed along with its matching bonnet and parasol as well as a few baubles to accompany the outfit. She then placed a few coins into a purse to give to the church upon their exit.

She slipped into a freshly laundered chemise and then stepped into her corset, bringing it up around her torso. As soon as the weight of the corset touched her bruises she winced in pain. There was no way that she would be able to sit in church for hours with that pressure on her bruises. She stepped out of the corset and looked at her figure in the mirror. She wasn't as thin as she was with the corset but her waist was still narrow. She smiled at the idea of walking into the House of God being improperly dressed - how scandalous. If anyone knew they would truly think she was a seductress.

As she stepped into her gown she remembered the sight of Captain Aubrey holding his sword to Sir Walter's throat. She felt safe knowing that he was in her house. She felt safe so long as he always had an eye on her. How would she feel when he shipped out in five days? She could imagine feeling more vulnerable than ever. What if she saw Sir Walter and Captain Aubrey was in the middle of the ocean?

Her mind immediately flashed to the moment right before Sir Walter touched her. Feeling absolutely terrified of what she knew was about to happen and the fact that she was completely defenceless.

She had changed her behaviour for the better; perhaps she would be able to change her strength too.

Kitty didn't fuss over her hair, just pinning it up into a simple knot before putting her bonnet on her head and tying the ribbon into a bow under her chin.