1. So We Meet.

It is 5am on a Monday. The headmistress is shouting at me, in her high pitched voice, to get up and clean. Today there are a few couples scheduled to come choose a child or children to interview and potentially adopt. Of course there can be walk ins as well. But there are 3 scheduled appointments which apparently makes them priority.

"Skylar! If you don't have this blasted place spotless before they get here, you won't eat for another week!" She screeches at me from her office. "Yes ma'am.." I say just loud enough for her to hear before wasting no time on getting started quietly.

All the other children are still asleep. They will be getting up at 8am to eat breakfast and get ready. The first couple will be here at 10am. The second at noon. Lunch will be at 1pm. And the third couple will be here at 3pm. Then dinner is at 7pm and bedtime at 9pm.

The headmistress wants to make sure I finish cleaning before they get here so that I can be out of sight. She doesn't want them to pick me. She hates me, but wants to keep me around as her personal slave. She tells me everyday that it's my fault her sister died. My parents died in a car crash when I was just a year old, and her sister had been in the other car. I was the only survivor from that tragedy. 6yrs later here I am, cleaning a whole orphanage all alone.

I finish cleaning right at 8am. I quickly clean myself up the best I can in the bathroom sink. I find a old used hair tie and tie my shoulder length straight but choppy jet black hair back. The headmistress likes to humiliate me, so she chops up my hair every so often. I look in the mirror. I've managed to clean myself up enough to where you can just barely see my freckles under the dirt. I meet my own icy ocean blue eyes under my bangs in the mirror and sigh.

I take a few breaths before rushing to the kitchen to help prepare breakfast. We only have two cooks. I can't do much at my size but I can lend a helping hand. The cooks look at me with silent pity as they hand me plates and send me on my merry way to the dining room.

The other children pile in as I place the plates on the table, remaining invisible from all eyes. Even from the eyes of the children younger than me.

After the children finish breakfast, I start cleaning up the dining room. I help wash the dishes in the kitchen as well, ignoring my stomachs complaints. I'm on punishment for not cleaning everything on time last week. I finish cleaning and head up to my room.

10am rolls around and the first couple shows up. I stay in my room, so I don't see who they pick or if they adopted anyone.

After I know they are gone I head outside to the far side of the playground. I have time to spare since everything is cleaned and lunch isn't for a little while.

I sit on the rusted swing and lightly push myself. No one else uses this swing so I know I'm not in anyone's way. That doesn't stop some of the other kids from coming to me and being mean to me. The rest of the day goes by uneventfully. The usual cleaning up after everyone and hiding when the other couples and the few walk ins come in.

At the end of the day I see that a good handful of kids had been adopted. The place seems a bit emptier, though, to me it's just less mess to clean up.

I find myself back on that swing entertaining myself until it's time to go to bed as all the other children do the same, but away from me. It's dark now so they are playing under the yard light while I hide in the dark corner farthest away from the door of the orphanage.

It's summer break for the other children. School starts on August 25th. Today is July 15th. They have a month and 10 days. I'm not allowed to attend school though.

The children suddenly start to pile in through the door. It must be time for a movie before bed. It's the nighttime ritual for them. It helps the younger children wind down for bed. She won't let me watch the movies though. And the other older children are allowed to choose if they want to watch it or not.

I'm A Depp (A Johnny Depp Fanfic) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara