Prologue

The cloaked figure creeps through the alleyway, holding a small wooden box in its hands. The dark mist puddles splash across the street with every step. The flames start to sizzle in the back as time hits midnight. The figure stumbles along the streets with no visible light source all around. The figure calls out in a hushed voice. A small flame rose from the palm of the figure's hand.
The figure moved through the city and into tunnels burrowed into the stone. Repeatedly the flame extinguished, leaving them in the dark once again. The figure reaches the path leading to house Shobalar. The new future in sight.
Shing! The figure drops to the floor, blood spraying onto the path. "What is a peasant like you doing out here by the Houses of Menzoberranzan?" The boy asks.
The boy looked over at the box that the figure dropped. He walks over, wiping the blood off his sword. He lifts his foot up to the lid and kicks it open. The dark cloudy eyes that stare back sends a chill down the boys' spine. He slides his hands in and picks the child up. "What's a child like you doing out here?" The boy says.
The boy slides his sword into his scabbard, and starts cradling the baby. "Hi I'm Van Baenre, and you are..."
The boy looks at the inside of the box. On a thin piece of parchment that is ripped halfway through the writing. Phann.
"Phann Baenre?" That boy wondered. He took the baby away from the path and up towards the large manor. Van floated up to the entrance, and activated his infrared vision. Van walked through the hallway to the study. "Mama look what I found," Van said.
Van walked over to his mother holding Phann. "Van you know how to address me-"
As Quenthel Baenre lays her eyes on Phann she feels the same sudden sense of danger. As she stares at Phann she leaps from her chair and over to a bookshelf. She scrolls through for a moment until she comes upon it. She takes the book and flips through, but then stops. She stares wide eyed at the page. Van walked over to his mother and looked at the page. The words at the top of the page read; Changeling.
The mistress lets out an audible chuckle. "My son," She turns to look at Van, "Thank you for bringing me your new brother."
Her smile stretched across her face sadistically.