Chapter 6

They break out of the room and run into the others at the entrance way of the keep.

"What's happening?"

"Where have the guards gone?" They turn to see Jarrett and two other guards enter the keep and slam the door.

"What did you do?" Jarrett snaps at them. They all turn to Scanlan.

"Don't look at me. All I did was make a hoagie."

"Sorry,it's a habit to blame you." Isona says,ignoring his glare.

"Five of my men are dead. If you didn't kill them,who did?" Jarrett asks as they walk to the group. A loud whoosh sounds as the lights are blown out. Shadows fly around them,Vax takes a step closer to Isona.

"Chancing a guess it was them." He states. One of the wraiths fly down and lifts a guard,dragging her across the ceiling while sucking the life out of her,another one kills the other guard. Scanlan gets throw across the room.

"Scanlan!" Keyleth shrieks.

"They want the book." Vex states. The wraiths drop the two now dead guards and eyes the book Scanlan dropped. She runs over and grabs it.

"Keyleth,heads up!" She throws the book,the wraiths enter her body and throw her against the wall,black ooze flows from her eyes and mouth. Keyleth transforms into a jackrabbit and runs away with the book. Scanlan gets pinned by one of the wraiths,it chokes him,making the black ooze come out of his eyes. Vax attempts to slash the wraith,but his dagger goes through it.

"I got him!" Grog yells and picks up Scanlan.

"Fall back!" Pike orders,supporting Vex. Isona catches Keyleth in her arms and they run to the kitchen,Grog slamming the door once everyone was in and puts Scanlan on the table.

"Oh,that sucked." He groans out. Isona puts down Keyleth and she changes back.

"We need a way to fight them." Vex says.

"No use in you being unarmed anymore." Jarrett says and tosses a sword to Vax,a crossbow to Vex,and an ax to Isona.

"A trigger? Ew." Isona looks at the ax,the looks at the sword Vax is holding.

"Want to trade?" She asks innocently. He stares at the sword.

"Hmm. No."

"Wha-why not?"

"I don't know how to fight with an ax."

"And you think I do?"

"I could really use my lute about now." Scanlan says,interrupting them. Isona grumbles and holds the ax tighter,Vax smirks at her.

"I thought you said it wasn't a weapon."

"Obvious lie."

"Not that any of these will do fuck all." Vax speaks up. A thud makes them turn,they see Keyleth dropped the book. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head as the black liquid oozes from her mouth,and she slides up the wall. A wraith flies through the wall and drops her. The lights go out.

"Keyleth!" Percy and Isona shout at the same time. They get thrown against opposite walls. A wraith pins Isona to the wall,its claws dig into her chest,the black liquid flows from her eyes,nose and mouth. She chokes as Vax comes and slashes the wraith. It goes through it,but makes it drop Isona. She coughs as Vax crouches next to her. Vex catches a thrown Scanlan and sits next to them,Pike flies over and lands in front of the couple.

"Can't see shit." She says,as Jarrett lights a torch. He swings it around,the wraiths shriek and back away.

"The light!" Pike exclaims.