But if Alberu continued to believe that Cale was behind it, he would make good on his promise to take Penelope away. Cale had used every bit of strength she had to maintain custody of her daughter but ultimately–Alberu was the king. Should he decide to tyrannically steal her daughter, what could she actually do to stop him? It wouldn't be so horrible if she could trust him but she couldn't.

She gripped the dirt with clenched fists, ruining the lacy white gloves that adorned her petite fingers.

She knew what sort of man Alberu was. He only liked Penelope as a momentary entertainment and then–when he'd grown bored of her–he'd leave her alone.

"...never... I'll never allow that despicable bastard to take my daughter."

She felt like crying but she wouldn't. She couldn't.

She wasn't so weak as to weep pathetically with just this. She needed a solution.

She needed to learn the real reason why Penelope was so cold with her father. It was true that the shift had been sudden, so sudden that it concerned Cale. Alberu was right about one thing, Penelope was only four years old and it was rare for four year olds to act so coldly towards their parents.

Then again... Cale smiled to herself. Her Penelope had never been a child restricted by what a normal child might do. Sometimes it was worrying, sometimes it was impressive, but none of it lessened her adoration for her daughter.

'...perhaps... it is me...' Cale didn't do much to hide her disdain for Alberu. It fit well into her act and she never lied to her daughter about her relationship with him. They were essentially strangers that were married with a poor impression of one another.

Did she have to treat Alberu kindly? Was that the only way to encourage Penelope to give him a second chance?

She didn't like the idea of Penelope trusting that snake of a man but... between that and having her taken away or treated poorly by that bastard of a kind... there simply were no good answers but this was the only answer that wouldn't place any pressure on Penelope.

She wasn't going to tell her daughter something as sickening as 'you have to pretend to like him' or 'you ought to love your father'. If Penelope genuinely hated the bastard, she wouldn't force her to pretend.

Cale's bad habit in life was to take all of the pressure from those she loved and carry it on her own shoulders instead.

"...are you crying?"

Cale's gaze snapped upwards and she was quite tempted to take the dirt she'd been gripping and throw it into his disgusting face.

It was even more upsetting that he'd actually managed a quite believable facade of concern. His blue eyes reflecting in the moonlight with worry and regret. His mouth pursed into a delicate frown that frankly looked better on him than that fake ass smile of his.

Cale looked him coldly in the eyes. "Unfortunately, your majesty, I'm not a fucking toddler so I don't cry so easily. Disappointed?" She asked, letting out a huff of derision. "Were you hoping to make me weep like a little bitch just because of a few words? How disgusting of our great king to have such a disappointing hobby. And to be bad at that as well? Ha! It's adorable."

She wanted him to leave.

She needed to collect herself. To regain her composure. She needed to come up with a sensible plan to keep Penelope safe and happy. She needed time away from the painful aching in her heart whenever she thought about this stupid bastard.

"I only spoke the truth." Alberu said calmly, some of his concern dissipating.

'Good. Show just how shallow your compassion is. It's easier to hate you.'