"If you're serious about this, you need some major practice, little slice. Come on," Damian says, motioning for her to join him.

"Now?"

"No time like the present," Damian shrugs. Janis whines and follows him out to his mom's car.

"Fiiiiine."

—————

"So how do I football, oh wise one?" Janis asks, in some of Damian's cheer practice clothes, since she had nothing even approaching activewear.

"Janis. Darling. Look at me," Damian says. "Why the hell would I know?"

"Do you even watch the games you cheer for?"

"I don't... watch... what they're doing," Damian mumbles in embarrassment. Janis snorts.

"Gay."

"Exactly," Damian says.

"Then why are we here?" Janis asks.

"Because I Googled it," Damian grins ominously, brandishing his phone. "And from what I found, this is the end of our friendship."

"Oh, joy."

—-

Damian is nearly right. Janis doesn't even lay a hand on a football that first day, she just tap dances with Damian to practice moving her feet ridiculously quickly and carefully (and eats shit several times in the process), does his physical pre-show warm ups to start building up her muscles, and 'runs' a whole mile.

Damian drives next to her on his grandmother's Jazzy, and manages to keep pace with her. It makes sense Janis isn't exactly up to speed yet, having never run... any distance at all.

"Go Jan! You're almost there!" Damian cheers as he pulls back into his driveway.

"I... am gonna... fucking... kill you," Janis puffs in aggravation and exhaustion.

"This was your idea, boo."

"I'm next to go," Janis continues panting, snatching the offered water bottle from him and chugging it. She wrenches the lid off when it doesn't come out fast enough for her tastes and downs the rest of it in one go.

"Damn." Damian says. "That bad?"

"This is the end," Janis gasps as she pulls away from the bottle. "I'm dying. Goodbye."

Damian watches as she flops down onto the burning hot asphalt of his driveway and doesn't seem to care at all. He heads over and leans into her view.

"Actually, if you're serious about this, you have to do this every day between now and tryouts."

"I'm actually gonna end everything you love," Janis gripes, wiggling crankily on the ground. "I swear to god."

"Sure, Jan." Damian says. "Whatever makes you feel better."

"I will! You watch me," Janis says, trying to stand. "I'll do it right now!"

"You can't even stand up, Janjan."

"Yes I can!" Janis yells. She continues trying to get up, but once she's rolled onto her stomach, she admits defeat. "Help."

"Come on, you gotta get some rest," Damian sighs, hauling her up onto his back and carrying her inside.

"Thanks mom."

—————

Barely; after several threats to quit and with a couple miracles, Janis makes it to tryouts. Damian and her sister both dragged her through her exercises every day, and watched football games with her so she could learn to understand the terms and observe the motions she'd need to replicate.