She laughed heartily at my reaction. "I'm just kidding, [name]. Relax and enjoy the flight. We'll be landing soon enough."

I rolled my eyes in jest, turning my attention to the man seated beside me. Summoning my courage, I cleared my throat and greeted him in broken Chinese. "Ni hao," I said, trying to start a conversation.

The man looked at me, confusion on his face. "Dude, I'm from Detroit," he replied with a chuckle, his accent revealing he wasn't Chinese.

Heat rushed to my cheeks as embarrassment washed over me. "Oh, sherlock, Sup," I managed to say, feeling a bit flustered by my failed attempt at conversation.

We both laughed, breaking the ice and easing the tension. The man's name was David, and he turned out to be friendly and easy to talk to. We spent the rest of the flight chatting about our lives, sharing stories, and learning from each other.

We arrived at our destination after the long flight, and I found myself trailing behind my mother, still feeling a bit disoriented from the journey

We arrived at our destination after the long flight, and I found myself trailing behind my mother, still feeling a bit disoriented from the journey. Uncertain of what to expect, I looked around eagerly, taking in the sights and sounds of this new place.

As we walked through the airport, my mom checked her phone and said, "We’re supposed to meet her at number five." I glanced around, trying to locate any signs or indications of where we were supposed to go. Suddenly, a voice called out, breaking through the crowd.

"Mrs. Packer?" a Chinese woman asked, her voice filled with warmth. However, I couldn't help but cringe as I noticed she had misspelled our surname.

My mom corrected her with a good-natured laugh, "Hi, it's Parker," she said, causing me to chuckle softly at the mix-up.

The woman quickly apologized for her mistake, and we exchanged pleasantries before she ushered us towards a waiting white van.

As we settled into the vehicle, I kept my eyes fixed on the window, eager to catch a glimpse of the surroundings. The woman, who introduced herself as Li Mei, struck up a conversation with my mom in a mix of Chinese and English. I couldn't understand every word, but I gathered that they were discussing our arrival and the plans for our stay.

Li Mei's enthusiasm was infectious as she pointed outside the window. "Look! There's Omatek Village, isn't it beautiful?" she exclaimed, her voice filled with genuine admiration.

I followed her gaze and was greeted by a breathtaking view. Rolling hills dotted with quaint houses and vibrant gardens stretched out before us. It was like stepping into a picturesque painting, a scene that seemed almost too perfect to be real.

"I guess there's nothing old in China, huh, [Name]?" my mom teased with a smile, knowing well how I had joked earlier about the ancient aspects of the country.

Her comment made me pause, momentarily stunned by the sheer beauty and charm of the place we had arrived in. "Okay, Mom, I admit it. This is pretty amazing," I said, grinning.