"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard aircraft CA982," the flight attendant announced as my mother and I made our way through the cabin, looking for our seats

We finally found them, and I settled into mine with a mix of excitement and nervousness.

As the plane prepared for takeoff, my mom leaned towards me, her voice soft and filled with concern. "How are you feeling?" she asked in Chinese, a language that was always a bit of a challenge for me.

I shrugged, unsure of how to put my feelings into words. "I guess I'm nervous, Mom. Everything is so new, and I don't know what to expect."

Mom smiled reassuringly. "Remember, this new life of us is an opportunity for us to embrace change and grow together. We'll face whatever comes our way, one step at a time."

I nodded, appreciating her encouragement. Then, she pointed to a Chinese character on the magazine in front of me. "Do you remember what that one means?" she asked, curiosity in her eyes.

I thought for a moment before admitting, "Honestly, Mom, I find math more interesting than learning Chinese characters."

Mom sighed, a hint of disappointment in her voice. "No, [name], focus," she said, repeating her words in a slightly exasperated tone. I felt a pang of guilt for not meeting her expectations. Trying to lighten the mood, I rolled my eyes playfully and pointed at another picture in the magazine.

"Look, Mom, everything in China seems so ancient. There are old houses, old parks... even old people. Look at this person here, they must be at least 400 years old!" I joked, hoping to make her laugh.

Mom's eyes fixated on me, a mixture of amusement and disbelief. "[Name], you're killing me," she said, half laughing.

I feigned innocence, a mischievous glint in my eyes. "No, Mom, I'm not a murderer. Just stating the facts," I replied with a smirk, knowing well that I was teasing her.

She shook her head, still chuckling, and decided to change the subject. "Take off your hat, [name]. You look like a boy," she remarked, reaching out to take the hat from my head.

I protested, reaching for it. "Mom, give it back. I don't mind looking like a boy, especially since Uncle Charlie declared 'no boys allowed'," I quipped, a mischievous grin spreading across my face.

She burst into laughter, her amusement contagious. "What if you see a cute Chinese boy?" she teased, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

I pretended to be shocked, widening my eyes dramatically. "Oh, stop, Mom! I'm still a baby," I protested, emphasizing my playful objection. She playfully kissed my cheek, showing her affection and support.

"Now, go ahead and ask the man sitting next to you," she encouraged, a glimmer of mischief in her eyes.

I stared at her in disbelief. "What? No!" I exclaimed, my voice filled with mock horror.