As I closed the taxi door behind me, ready to embark on this new chapter, I caught sight of my best friend standing by the curb. His familiar face brought a mixture of comfort and bittersweet emotions. He handed me a pair of skates, a thoughtful gift that was meant for my upcoming birthday.

"No, these are yours," I protested, refusing to accept his generous gesture. But he insisted, a gentle smile playing on his lips. "Come on, take them," he said, his voice laced with sincerity. "They were supposed to be a birthday present, but I want you to have them now

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard aircraft CA982," the flight attendant announced as my mother and I navigated our way through the cabin, scanning for our designated seats

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard aircraft CA982," the flight attendant announced as my mother and I navigated our way through the cabin, scanning for our designated seats. We finally located them, and I settled into mine with a sense of both excitement and apprehension. As the aircraft prepared for takeoff, my mom leaned towards me, her voice soft and filled with concern.

"How are you feeling?" she asked in Chinese, a language that was always a bit of a challenge for me.

I shrugged, unsure of how to articulate my emotions. "I guess I'm nervous, Mom. Everything is so new, and I'm not sure what to expect."

Mom smiled reassuringly. "Remember, this journey is an opportunity for us to embrace change and grow together. We'll face whatever comes our way, one step at a time."

I nodded, appreciating her words of encouragement. Then, she pointed to a Chinese character displayed on the magazine in front of me. "Do you remember what that one means?" she asked, curiosity in her eyes.

I pondered for a moment before admitting, "Honestly, Mom, I find math more interesting than learning Chinese characters."

Mom sighed, her disappointment evident. "No, [name], focus," she muttered, repeating her statement in a slightly exasperated tone. I furrowed my brows, feeling a pang of guilt for not meeting her expectations.

In an attempt to lighten the mood, I playfully rolled my eyes and pointed at another photo in the magazine. "Look, Mom, everything in China seems so ancient. There are old houses, old parks... even old people. Look at this person here, they must be at least 400 years old!" I exclaimed, trying to inject a touch of humor into the conversation.

I sensed my mom's eyes fixated on me, a mixture of amusement and disbelief. "[Name], you're killing me," she said, half laughing.

I feigned innocence, a mischievous glint in my eyes. "No, Mom, I'm not a murderer. Just stating the facts," I replied with a smirk, knowing well that I was pushing her buttons.

She shook her head, still chuckling, and decided to change the subject. "Take off your hat, [name]. You look like a boy," she remarked, reaching out to snatch the hat from my head.

I protested, reaching for it. "Mom, give it back. I don't mind looking like a boy, especially since Uncle Charlie declared 'no boys allowed'," I quipped, a mischievous grin spreading across my face.