a future with you (d.m)

Taking care of Teddy Lupin has Draco thinking about his future with you.

Warnings: baby fever

Word Count: 1 k

• -- ٠ ✤ ٠ -- •

Smiles were shared as you entered your home, making sweet faces at the boy in your arms. You had been excited all morning - running around to the house to ensure that everything was baby-proofed. Draco insisted that he prepared an extra room for the infant, having decorated using pastel greens and dragon ‌plushies. You wanted things to be perfect.

You were overjoyed when Andromeda had asked for some assistance, immediately offering to babysit for as long as she needed. Harry and the Weasleys had been of great help after the war. But with Harry's Auror position, you and Draco were glad to offer your help. He was part of the family, after all.

You heard as Draco shut the door behind you, helping remove your jacket as he hung it up on the coat rack. You felt warm as the autumn breeze was forced out the doorway.

"He's got to be hungry," Draco chuckled, pressing a gentle kiss to your cheek. You nodded. It wasn't safe to apparate with a baby, so the poor boy had cried the whole car ride home. You were only grateful that he didn't need a diaper change.

Draco watched fondly as you pressed Teddy's small body against your chest, swaying lightly as you took a seat on the cozy couch in the sitting room. Teddy's hair was once a bright shade of blue, but had turned pink when you placed a loving kiss atop his head. Draco knew that if he was a metamorphmagus, he would surely be sporting a bright pink mane. He was absolutely in love with the sight of you.

Draco filled a bottle, testing if it was warm enough against the back of his hand before joining you on the sofa. Despite seeming quite calm, he was shaking on the inside; being sure to follow each and every tip his mother had given him the night before.

He chuckled as the cushions sunk below him, causing both you and Teddy to dip into his side. He draped his arm around your shoulder, allowing you to take the bottle and begin feeding Teddy with ease.

Draco smiled as the infant began to nurse, his tiny fingers gripping yours as you held the bottle in place. He loved the way you looked with a baby - so protective and gentle. It made his heart melt and his insides go fuzzy.

He suddenly began to imagine what it would be like to spend every night like this. He would return home from work to find his beautiful wife and baby fast asleep by the fireplace. And he would join you for a quick cuddle before helping you both to bed.

It wasn't common that he dreamt of a future family, often doubting his ability to do well as a father. But the sight before him pulled at his heart strings, and he suddenly yearned for something more.

You began to pat Teddy's back softly, allowing him to burp before he drank the rest of his bottle.

"Would you like to hold him?" you asked, offering the bottle to Draco. You noticed the way his eyes had blown wide, prompting you to press a kiss on his cheek as you laid Teddy against him.

"You'll do fine, love," you cooed, curling into his side as Teddy began to nurse once more.

Draco felt his shoulders relax as Teddy began to grow comfortable, noticing the way his big brown eyes peered up at him. Teddy hadn't begun to cry as Draco had expected. Instead, the rose-headed boy held onto Draco's fingers just as tightly, seemingly mesmerized by every move he made.

"You would be an amazing father," you giggled, noticing the way he rubbed soothing circles against Teddy's back. You wanted to spend every night this way.

"If only we had our own little one," Draco chuckled, pulling the bottle away when it had fallen empty. Teddy's eyes began to droop shut as he curled into Draco's middle.

"Would you be willing to try?" you smiled, hope now gleaming in your eyes. There was nothing more you wanted than to start a family with the boy that you loved. But you had never been sure if he wanted the same. Luckily, the blush that rose to his cheeks was all the confirmation you needed.

You scooped Teddy into your arms as both you and Draco led him to the guest bedroom. You gasped at the sight, feeling your heart warm when you laid eyes on the photo above the crib.

The wooden frame held a photo of Remus and Tonks, who smiled and waved on their wedding day. Looking at them now, a small bump peaked through Tonk's dress. They had done well hiding it back then.

A tear slipped down your cheek as you put Teddy to sleep, pressing a gentle kiss against his forehead as you did so. Draco was quick to close the curtains, hiding any sunlight from the sleeping boy. You were careful not to make noise as you left, being sure to leave the door cracked open.

With a sigh, you pulled Draco to lay down with you in front of the t.v.

"You really think I would make a good father?" It came out as a whisper. And for the first time since the war, you could hear the excitement in his tone.

"The best," you smiled, showering his face in kisses that made his heart flutter. He enjoyed moments like these - when he could simply enjoy the life he had built with you. But he knew that you were both ready for something new.

"You sure about this, love?" he asked, trailing kisses up your neck and towards your ear. "Because once we have a baby, we won't have privacy like this."

You giggled, feeling as he smiled against your skin.

"Instead, we'll have the most beautiful symbol of our love." You smiled, feeling as he began to caress your sides. He hummed in response, finally resting his head in the crook of your neck.

"You'll be the most wonderful mother."

And he meant it. He meant every word he said. Because it was the life he began to dream of when he saw you in it. And he couldn't wait for that day to come.