Nothing But The Truth

Start from the beginning

"The emperor is alone up there too. Look, all of his guards are here."

It didn't feel right. It felt like something bad was going to happen, so Jo Yeong stubbornly argued to get inside the top floor's room and guarded Min Ho.

He was strictly opposed.

His mind that was trained to be suspicious of anything was alarmed, fearing his lord would be ambushed by his own brother.

"Let me go with Min Ho Dae Goon! It's fine if you hold my sword, just let me go with him!"

The Emperor's guard got angry this time and they almost fought.

"Jo Yeong! Are you out to humiliate me this morning?" Min Ho scolded sternly.

Jo Yeong bowed to apologize.

"Forgive me, My Lord. I'll patiently wait here until you're done."

Min Ho stepped upstairs and entered the top chamber.

****************

Min Ho predicted his brother wanted to talk about something urgent. Though about what, he had no idea. After the Park Clan was taken care of, there was no more threat to the government, or the royal family for that matter.

What could Jung Jae possibly want to say, that made them have to talk in this tower, entirely away from prying eyes and ears?

He opened the wooden doors to see his brother standing seriously, looking far into the horizon. He knew that pose very well. He got something troubling his mind.

What could it be?

Puzzled because he couldn't read him, Min Ho approached.

"Hyeong, I'm here. What is it?"

Jung Jae seemed startled, previously lost in his own thought.

"Oh, Min Ho-yah!"

Jung Jae waved his hand to the view beyond them.

"Look. Our capital city."

The city below was full of houses, people walking like miniatures below while the sky was grey, with meager rays of sunshine breaking through.

"What do you think of this view?"

"It's cloudy."

Jung Jae shook his head in amusement. So characteristic of his younger brother to see everything with such practical eyes.

"What's troubling you, Hyeong? Why meeting all the way up here?"

Always the poignant approach, no beating around the bush.

"You've always hated small talks."

"There's no need of small talks between us."

Jung Jae sighed heavily, before finally ordering himself to do what he intended.

"Min Ho-yah, there's always one thing I've wanted to say, ever since I was appointed as the crown prince. I feel I owe myself to ask you that. I will never find the answer if I don't ask you the question."

"Very well. Tell me what is it."

"You won't like it."

"How do you know?"

"I just do."

"Then don't ask me."

"I can't. I have to."

"Say it then. Stop with the word play, Hyeong. You're getting on my patience."

He was the emperor of the nation, and Min Ho was only a prince. But that day, he was honestly afraid of the reaction he would get from his younger brother.