«eight_birdie potter»

Start from the beginning

"But we've already been taking care of Tommy, and we've gotten atta—"

"That's not going to do anyone any good, Birdie, I'm going to be really honest with you here, you made a terrible mistake, the first week would've been fine on its own, but taking up a child when both you and Lorelei aren't completely stable yourselves?" Sirene said, she was pinching the bridge of her nose and Birdie hated that, she hated seeing her aunt disappointed like this, "Thomas lost the only person who cared for him, and then he got you two but you're not ready, and I think it's best if you go your separate ways with him."

"But Aunt Sirene—"

"This isn't up for discussion, Birdie, I'm sorry but you two made a terrible call," Sirene said, she was frustrated now — angry, "Do you know how exhausting it is to take care of a child? It takes away pieces of you if you're not ready for it, and you're not."

"Is it just because I'm young?" Birdie questioned, "I'm sure I just need some help and nothing else, because my mum was very young when she had me too—"

"Your mum was different, Birdie, she wanted this, she wanted you, and she wanted the big happy family with the picket fence dream," Sirene said and suddenly her eyes teared up, "She had us, and you and Lorelei — you're being stubborn right now."

"But I'm not—"

Aunt Sirene was in no mood for bullshit today, "Are you kidding me with this, Birdie?" she then sighed, taking three deep breaths, "Thomas goes tomorrow, and that's final."

"I know, I'm not my mum," Birdie said suddenly, "I know these things don't come as naturally with me as they do with her but I can't leave that little kid— not after he's gotten attached, we've gotten attached."

"Your mum wouldn't want you like this," Sirene said, "She wouldn't want any of us like this, Bird, you're in way over your head here, darling, you need to understand that."

"Everyone says that, don't they?" Birdie said, her voice bitter, "Your mum wouldn't want this for you, or your parents wouldn't want this for you...well, they're not here, are they?" she'd never actually said it out loud before, and Merlin, it felt so awful doing it. I mean, yeah she got to spend time with her parents for like six years before the constant moves started to affect her, and she was pulled away from them — that's when Aunt Sirene had started taking care of her.

Birdie had always felt a little off if she ever thought of being anything but grateful about her parents...I mean, she was better off than Harry wasn't she? He got stuck with the creepy Aunt and Uncle and Birdie got to stay with her parents and her cool Aunt and Uncle, it didn't feel fair if she ever complained.

"I get that, love, I really do—"

"No, you don't!" Birdie exclaimed, suddenly she was reminded of just how angry she'd really been all this time, just burying it all deep inside and hoping it went away, "You don't get it, Aunt Si, and you never will."

"I don't get it?" Sirene asked, her voice dangerously low, "Me? The person who spent a decade with your family? James and Lily Potter were my family, Robin, I watched them, I watched you — I watched all of it. You don't think I get it? You don't think I spend my time wondering if I screwed it up with you? With Lorelei? Hell, even with Regan? You don't think I constantly think over my choices, constantly asking myself would James and Lily want this?"

Birdie had gotten silent, her eyes red as she stared at her aunt. They'd never fought like this, Sirene had never raised her voice like that before, but Birdie had that stubborn Potter gene and she knew, she knew her aunt was right, she knew she'd messed it up with Tommy, but she wouldn't admit it, not right now. With a scoff, she got to her feet as she put the jacket around her frame, calling out for Tommy.

That was the first time Birdie had seen that part of Sirene Black-Rosier, and it was the first part Sirene Black-Rosier had watched her niece leave with tear streaked cheeks.

Suddenly, Sirene feels like a kid again, the kid who got kicked out of her house, the kid James' parents took in, and Sirene just crumbles — loud sobs racking her body as she struggles to breathe — how the fuck did it come to this? How the fuck were they all so away from each other? How the fuck were James and Lily in so much pain? It doesn't make sense.

Regan had gotten downstairs after hearing the sudden noise, and then she her mum there — on the floor, she'd never seen her mum cry like this before, yeah, she'd shed a tear or two when she was watching a sad muggle movie, or like something else like that, but never like this. Regan panicked, not knowing what to do — she'd never been good at this stuff.

Regan sat down on the floor next to her mother, putting her hand on her shoulder, and Sirene made no effort to wipe her tears, she just turned away.

There was no way Sirene could've made it out of this without getting hurt, but she'd hoped, Merlin, she'd hoped.

love giving my mcs trauma, i rlly want you all to bear with me here because the character will make a lot of mistakes this book, they are kids who just got out into the world and plunged into war, they aren't ready for anything and they will be br...

love giving my mcs trauma, i rlly want you all to bear with me here because the character will make a lot of mistakes this book, they are kids who just got out into the world and plunged into war, they aren't ready for anything and they will be brash and awkward and weird and wrong and stupid, but that's everyone.