memories of the rain

That day, Mother Nature was crying

That day, Mother Nature was crying. Her tears were gently and indiscriminately hitting the ground, buildings, vegetation and everyone under the grey sky. The sun was shining only weakly. The dark clouds had taken over and left it no escape.

"I just got Shin. We're safe for now, no Legion on sight."

"That's great."

My attention naturally turned to my interlocutor. Kaie Tanya. She placed the bag she was holding on the ground before sitting down.

We had gone out this morning to pick strawberries in the area. A few minutes earlier, the sun's rays announced a sunny afternoon. However, now, the weather was not nice and it would be for a long time...

Fortunately, we were able to take shelter in this now abandoned mill. Part of the roof was missing. But as we were on the lowest floor, there was very little water coming down to our level.

Kaie was staring into the only window in the building. For someone like me who had trouble talking to other people, I wondered if it was better not to break the atmosphere. Besides, it wasn't as if I had anything to say.

"Charlize..."

Maybe because I had been staring at her the whole time, she had finally noticed and turned to me. I immediately looked away.

"I have some cards with me. Do you want to play a game?"

"Cards?"

A slight smile had formed on her lips.

"Yeah. I forgot to put them back so they stayed in my pocket. How about it?"

"OK. Why not?"

The young woman took the cards out of her jacket pocket. She placed them all between them, from behind.

A memory game?

I took the initiative and turned over two random cards.

No pair.

Kaie followed and so on.

"By the way... Are you okay? You didn't look well last night."

This question surprised me. Firstly, it was sudden, secondly, I didn't understand why she was asking me that.

"Last night?"

"Ah... You don't remember?" she answered, thoughtful, looking at the cards. "It's not important then. Forget what I asked you."

I watched her turn over two more cards. One of them matched a card I had just turned over. I prayed inwardly that she wouldn't remember where it was.

"Did something happen?"

"Hm... You were crying outside."

She turned over the right card.