Chapter 1:California

I woke up on chilly day in October at 6am. It's about a month and three weeks into the school year. It was really cold in my room,it's always colder in here than it is outside. I get out of bed to see how cold it is. I walk through the house to the front porch.

"Jeans,tee-shirt and maybe a jacket"

I here the TV turn on and some cartoons playing. I walk back into the house and I see Wills head snap in my direction with a mouth full of cereal.

"Will,what did I say about eating on the couch."

He looks at me and slowly moves to the floor.

I sigh knowing that's the best I'll get without an argument.

"Did mom come home"
"No" he says with a mouth full
"Don't talk with your mouth full"
He gives me a face.
"When your done get ready for school" I say walking back to my room to get dressed for school.

I walk into the kitchen and Jonathan is at the table eating something.

"Hey" he says
"Mornin, do you know where mom is"
"Night/early shift" he says
"Ok, can you drive Will to school"
"Why"
"Because I-"
"Can I ride my bike with the rest of my friends" he yells from the bathroom

I look at Jon and he looks at me. We both shrug.

"That's fine" I yell

I here him run to his room and get on his walkie talkie.

I shake my head and walk back to my room. I finish getting ready for school.

I love driving,it gives me a sense of freedom. I'm driving down the street to go to school, then I get cut off by some asshole in a blue Camaro with music blasting. I wanna run my car into it but I just brush it off.

I pull into the school parking lot and go to my usual spot. I grab my bag from the passenger seat and get out my car.

"Byers" I hear behind me
I turn around
"Harrington" I say
He walks over and we do our hand shake we made last year.

"What's shakin" he says
I give him a very confused look
"What I'm trying a new catchphrase"
"Really"
"Yeah, you like it"
I shake my head yes
"No" I say

His face drops
"Ass"
"Bitch" I spit back

"Anyways, when I was driving to school. This idiot in a blu-" I start but then get cut off by the same loud engine and music.

I turn to see the blue Camaro.

"That's the car" I say to Steve

The car comes flying into the parking lot. A redhead jumps out of the passenger seat and skates over to the middle school.

"Who in the hell is that" Steve says
" I have no idea" I say looking at who might come out of the car.

There he is, the dick who cut me off. A blonde curly haired guy with a mullet comes out of the car.

"New guy" Steve says
I look at him then back at the guy

He pulls a cigarette out and lights it. I see everyone stopping to look,the girls practically on there knees begging to be looked at by the mildly....nope really really attractive guy.

"Where your think he's from" Steve whispers in my ear.
"Definitely a city guy"
"Obviously"

"He's tan,stylish,attractive. Probably west or east coast person. Loud music and engine and could car less about other people on the road... and his license plate says California"

"California" I say
"You think" he says
I nod
"Hey aren't you on the welcoming committee" he says
"OH F-" I get cut off by Steve clamping his hand on my mouth. I give him a stink eye then I stick my tounge out of my mouth to lick his hand.
"Ahhh your disgusting" he says
"Well don't put your hand on my mouth"
He wipes his hand on my jacket

"Why'd you join anyways" he says
I start walking towards the school
"Because it's an easy credit and nobody new ever comes to Hawkins...or so I thought" I say opening the doors
"Hey I gotta blast" he says and runs off,I huff.

I see the principle down the hall. If I hide he won't see me and I won't have to show the new kid around. I tuck my head down and try to walk past but.....

"Miss Byers"

"Damnit"
I stop and turn

"Miss Byers, we have a new student and I need you to show him around and give him a warm welcome. All the other welcoming committee members were busy with some project."

"Right ok, I suppose I could do that"
"Of course you can" he says turning to walk to the office
I assume that's my que to follow.

I walk in the office behind the principal. I see the blonde haired boy sitting on a chair man spreading without a care in the world.

"Mr. Hargrove " he says
The boy stands up and shakes his hand
"This is Miss Byers,she will be showing you around the school today"
He takes a glance at me and smirks a little and looks back at the principal.
"Did the secretary give you your schedule"he asks
He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folded piece of paper
"Yes sir"
"Right well just follow Miss Byers and you'll do great"

The principle walks into his office and leaves us standing there. I stand there looking at my shoes not knowing what to say

"Just say something you idiot. You look so stupid. Just get it over with"

"Sooo should we get on with the-", then he looks at me with these gorgeous blue eyes,"- the uh tour"
He raises his eyebrows
"Lead the way"
I whip my body around and walk out the door.

"Um what's your first class"
"....Chemistry"
"Ok"

We start walking to the the science lab.

"California"
"What" he asks
"Your from California,right"
"Yeah...how'd you know"
"Lucky guess annnd your license plate says California
He smiles and chuckles
"Hers the Chemistry lab and down there is the history room"

I turn to look at him and he's already looking at me
"Next class" I ask
"Ummm math"