Finn loved her, she knew this. But Finn loved the idea of a family, having a baby with her, raising children together. She saw it in him when he would play with Ruby or have Beth up on his shoulders. They had gotten married imagining this life together and Ailbhe didn’t want to know what Finn would really think of married life without it.

She felt better as soon as she saw him. He was in the stables, leaning against the stable door of his favourite horse, his hand running down the horse’s neck back again and again as he mumbled to her.

“You’re alright, girl…” he hummed lowly to the mare but Ailbhe couldn’t help but feel comforted herself.

He hadn’t heard her come in, she knew this because he would have come straight to her if he had known she was close enough to touch.

“Hey” 

It came out like a sigh, in relief and exhaustion. He spun around, relief flooding his features as he reached out and lunged towards her. 

He collided with her instantly, wrapping her into his arms and pulling her up against him so she almost was lifted off her feet. 

“They said you’re okay, Tommy said…” Finn blurted, removing his face from where he had buried it in her neck to look at her properly. 

She nodded, feeling tears blur at the edges of her eyes with relief but also apprehension and exhaustion. He just wanted to be there with her, grateful that she wasn’t sick and that they could focus on praying for Ruby’s recovery, even if Finn didn't believe in any God. 

“I’m okay” she nodded, a weak smile pulling at her lips when she felt Finn’s lips press kisses to her cheeks, her forehead, her nose, all over until he had no more places left to plant them except her lips again and again.

“The doctors said I’m fine, it’s alright” she reassured him, her hands holding onto his that held her neck. 

Finn nodded, reassured by her words but he didn’t let go of her. He didn’t think he ever wanted to again.

“How’s Ruby?” 

Ailbhe wasn’t sure how to answer it. Ruby was sick. Very sick.

“She’s sick… they’re trying new treatments but they don’t know, Finn” 

Ruby looked so tiny in the hospital bed, her cheeks flushed from fever and yet she was ghostly pale. Her eyes were closed most of the time being fast asleep and when she did open them they were slow to move and there was no life in them.

When Ailbhe had seen her she had suddenly realised how frightened she was for her. Ruby had been curled up on her side, buried beneath the sheets when Ailbhe went into the room to see her. She had to wear a mask and promise not to stay long but she needed to see her. Ruby had opened her eyes just for a second, blinked at her aunt and sighed before the corners of her lips turned down and she whimpered “I want to go home…”

She had reached for Ailbhe, her body too weak to even reach out fully. But Ailbhe had scooted closer, resting her palm on her forehead and stroking her hair, promising her she would go home soon when she was all better. She tried to ignore the heat radiating from Ruby's fever and how Ruby barely seemed to even hear her words of reassurance.

Ailbhe was scared for her. And Finn knew that it wasn’t looking good.

“It’ll be alright… we’ll be alright” He sighed, resting his forehead against hers.

He gripped her hand and pressed it up to his lips, feeling the cool metal of her wedding ring.

She felt her heart aching in her chest. She wished she could leave him in blissful ignorance, to let him full of hope and to keep imagining their home full of children and happiness. But she had promised never to lie to him and she couldn’t bear this on her own. She wasn't strong enough. Not without him.