I start to smile. "It's alright. I kinda like 'Ellie' more than Elyus."

She looks up from the floor with a surprised look. "Really?" I nod. "I tried mentioning it to Ajak about getting your name changed but she didn't seem too thrilled about the idea so I thought you wouldn't have liked it either."

"How about we make it our secret then, hm?" I playfully nudge her shoulder. "A special privilege where I will never mess with you."

She raised a brow. "Oh, a special privilege?"

"Yeah. Like you will never randomly have patches of dirt hit you." I say before chucking the mini tornado I created into the dry terrain, causing the dust to hit Sersi square in the chest.

She lets out a gasp before shaking her head with a grin. "Oh, now you've done it." She giggled, grabbing onto a patch of soil which immediately turned to water in a matter of seconds, causing my eyes to widen as I scrambled to my feet and sprinted away from her.

"Oh god, Sersi think about what you're doing!"

"Get back here, Ellie!"

PRESENT DAY 2024

I throw another pebble into the river, watching as it skipped across until it collided with the edge on the opposite side and sank into the water.

I grab another pebble but just before I could toss it, I clench it in my grasp and sigh in annoyance as I adjust my position on the bench.

As soon as I left the bar, my first response was to re-book another flight to Los Angeles but since the prices were twice as much as I paid for, it practically became pointless.

Especially since if I did head home, I wouldn't have been in the best mood to work. Better for my employees anyway.

Just for her to call me that nickname brought out the worst of my memories. Seeing her reminded me of it all. It was an exception for Julian since he knew my secret and practically treated me as his best friend and replaced all of the hurt I kept with good memories but now that he was gone, I only wanted him to be the last person to call me Ellie.

The only positive thing that I kept close to my heart.

I huff, harshly tossing the rock into the river which created a large splash to ripple across the water due to the wind that escaped through my fingertips.

Unexpectedly, bubbles emerged underwater which causes my brows to furrow in confusion but they soon enough shifted into horror at the sight of the being crawling out of the water.

"What the..." I mutter as I slowly stand up from the bench, seeing the Deviant set its angered expression on me.

"Shit!" A familiar voice cried out from behind and I turn, my eyes widening in surprise at Sprite standing next to Sersi while Dane had his back towards me, unaware of the beast behind me. "Is that a Deviant?"

"Dane, run!" I yell out but to my surprise, the Deviant's tentacles wrap around my arms, dragging me closer to the beast before one of the tentacles pierced my neck. "Agh!"

"Eleanor!"

I kick towards the Deviant, sending a surge of the sharp wind to slash the tentacle off which releases its hold on my arms. I blow a harsh breath, sending me to skid away from the Deviant but a strong pair of arms pull me to stand on my feet.

"I gotcha!" Dane scrambled but Sersi ran around him and touched the ground, changing the stone into sand.

The Deviant began to sink, fighting with all its strength until she touched the ground again, turning the stand into stone to trap it.