to tame the longing inside our heart

A/N: I just wanna write about su qingluan, okay? Chapter 4 of The Ghost Bride become my reference in this fic. Before you read it, I need to apologize if there are any inaccuracies regarding history. I'm not a Malaysian, so correct me if you find any incorrect information in this fic. Also, English is not my native language, I apologize for the grammatical mistakes.

Chapter warning: cheating/infidelity

***

The Double Seventh festival was held in Helian mansion, a residence of one of the influential family in Malacca.

The Helian mansion was stood tall in the close quarters of Jonker and Heeren, a place where wealthy Chinese merchant had taken over Dutch old shop. The head of the household was an owner of coffee and rubber plantations, the most sought commodities with its expensive price to sell abroad. They also had many properties such as estates outside Malacca and many more.

If somebody from lower class family was invited on their party, then they was lucky enough. Well, that somebody was Su Qingluan.

To be fair, she was still a part of a wealthy family. She had been raised as an adopted daughter by Li Haoran, who was a right hand of Helian Qi. She knew the second son of Helian family personally. But, no matter what, she was still a lower class young woman by roots.

She was grinding ink in Li Haoran's workroom when the invitation letter came. As her adopted father read it aloud, Su Qingluan couldn't help to smirk.

"A Qi Xi festival? What an auspicious event!" Li Haoran exclaimed, a bit more eager than usual. He served a knowing look toward her daughter, "Did they invite you personally too?"

"Yes, father."

Of course, the honorable Moon Lady was expected to come and perform. It was personally told by the youngest son of Helian family through a private letter. She needed to polish her guqin after this. Perhaps also bought a new silk for her new dress.

She was going to meet someone special. She would make sure she appeared nice.

* * *

In the afternoon, near the sunset, she went to the event with rikshaw. The air was warm when Su Qingluan entered the mansion, together with a group of young woman with various attire and accessories. Helian Yi, who was the future successor of this family, greeted her and escorted her to one of the chair that was arranged in the big courtyard. Su Qingluan delivered her thanks and then paid no mind to the young man.

As she examined the entire place, a different kind of awe kept rising in her chest. This mansion was bigger than anything she had ever seen, even grander than her own house. It must have many courtyards and passageways like another grand Chinese mansion, very different than the European villas with its touch of Victorian style. The pink bougainvillea which placed in giant pots surrounding the main house eventually became her favorite sight.

When she averted her eyes to another direction, she could see a temporary stage was built in the middle of this place, a sign of upcoming performance was about to be seen. Oh, there was also long tables laid out not far away from the arranged seats, it was full of dessert.

Although she craved for some steamed kuih lapis[1] with its sweet and sticky texture, she wasn't allowed to enjoy the meal yet. At least they permitted her to drink some water before walking to the stage.

[1]: a sweet steamed cake made from rice flour, coconut milk, sugar and various shades of edible food colouring done with many individual layers.

As she composed herself into a calmer mood, she observed the crowd. Being a high influential family meant you were prone to rumors. Let's started from the credible fact first.