Chapter 23 - Try For The Moon

Start from the beginning

Keira nodded slowly. "Okay, got it. So, just make them comfortable with whatever powers they obtained?" She was still not briefed on what abilities the twins had obtained, and honestly, she doubted that Alexandra would let her know that before she discovered it herself.

"Just... see what happens and keep them calm. We don't want a repetition of your first experience, do we?"

Keira's gaze fell and her heart clenched. Her conscience still hadn't forgotten about the unfortunate souls that had paid with their lives while she figured out how to get a handle on her newly expanded powers. But maybe, just maybe, she could help Wanda and Pietro to not have to go through that.

"No. We do not. I'll try my best to help them." Keira shook her head before hoisting herself off the table, seeing as Alexandra had moved over to her desk in the corner, probably to scribble something down.

"Good. You're dismissed. Mr. Maximoff is already in the training room. After he's done, do a session with miss Maximoff." Alexandra waved her away, not giving her a second glance, so Keira did as she was told and exited the lab.

"Okay, let's try it out. Hop on." Keira tapped the treadmill with one hand while holding out the other towards Pietro, who was lying on the floor.

She had lost count once again on how much time had passed since the twins' exposure to the stone, but they weren't in isolation anymore at least. Not that the usual cells were something to celebrate, but at least they had a thin mattress to sleep on. It wasn't much, but it was better than the steel bench in isolation.

And Keira had to give it to the twins, they were making steady progress every day.

Pietro still had some trouble with managing his speed, sometimes slamming into walls, or punching a bit harder than he meant to. So, he was still a bit all over the place. But in those moments when he lost control, Keira could gain the advantage and knock him on his back.

Because despite the fact that Pietro was much faster than her, she was still able to see the slithers of his movements as he tried to knock her down. Even if she didn't always have time to react, either to duck or to retaliate, she usually knew when or where the punch was coming before it hit her.

One pro of being able to read body language.

"Try what out?" Pietro questioned, rolling over to his stomach and getting back up on his feet, brushing off his knees. He was getting better at dodging the blonde's attacks, and considering he had never trained in close combat before, he was rather proud of himself for that achievement.

That had been an idea of Keira's. Because while the twins now had their powers to defend themselves with, they were tragically outmatched when it came to normal fighting. It had become clear when Keira had asked them to try and take her down, two against one, and she had beaten the two of them without even trying. And that was with Pietro's unstable spurts of speed.

Slowly but surely, the twins got better, and as they did so, the scientists did not deem it advisable for the two of them to keep training together. So instead, Keira got to train them one-on-one. She wasn't complaining though. She preferred it like that because then she could give her full attention to the twin she had in front of her. Because let's be honest, her multitasking skills weren't the best. And when training one-on-one, she could give every bit of feedback that they needed and didn't risk overlooking something.

"To try and fly to the moon, of course, duh." Keira drawled, rolling her eyes slightly. Wasn't it clear what she meant considering the treadmill she was practically leaning on?