CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"I'm not a child." She retorted.

"I beg to differ." He said as he leaned across the table towards her, and the others chuckled as they stood behind him.

He sat back in his chair, looking at the three of us, his expression unreadable as I couldn't tell if he was angry or pleased.

"Explain yourselves." He said to us, clasping his hands together like he was some kind of Cult leader.

"She's our substitute. She's a great player, one of the best actually." I told him, stepping forward towards Erica.

"What?" He asked, confused by my statement.

"She's the one who's playing for Lucas tonight." Dustin clarified, and Eddie only stared at us before letting out a scoff.

"Absolutely not." He said.

"You wanted a sub. We delivered." Dustin told him, pointing his hand towards Erica as she stood in front of the table.

"This is Hellfire club.
Not babysitting club." Eddie told us, looking back at Erica.

"I'm eleven you long haired freak." She replied to him, sparking a smile on his lips as he looked at her.

"My, my, this child has an attitude problem." He spoke, earning another amused chuckle from the others.

"So, what's your name, child?" He asked her as he rose to his feet, slamming his hands down on the table as he slid from his chair, or his throne as he calls it.

"Erica Sinclair." She answered him, looking up at him with a twisted glare.

He laughed.
"So this is Sinclairs infamous sister?"

Erica turned around to the three of us, a sigh escaping her lips and an eyeroll accompanied it.

"He's sharp." She stated.

Gareth and Jeff laughed, but they immediately stopped when Eddie turned to them, annoyance clearly evident in his eyes.

"What's your class and level? Level one dwarf?" He asked her, and the other three all laughed at his words.
Mike and Dustin both looked at eachother before looking at me, and I shared the same expression.

"My name is Lady Applejack, and I'm a chaotic good half elf rogue, level 14. And I will sneak behind any monster you throw my way and stab them in the back with my poison soaked kukri. And I'll smile as I watch them die a slow agonizing death.
So are we gonna do this? Or are we gonna keep chitchatting like this is your mommy's book club?"

All of us looked at eachother again, not shocked by Erica's words, but moved and suprised that someone had spoke to Eddie that way.
Of course it'd be Erica to crack him.

And she did. He smiled at her after a moment, holding out his hand to her.

"Welcome to Hellfire."

She stared at it for a second before taking it and giving it a firm shake to seal the deal.

After getting everything ready and set up, we all took our seats to play.

Most of the session went by well, Dustin throwing his mini tantrums when he missed a hit, or Mike getting frustrated with Eddie's plot line every five seconds, me getting a few good rolls and then immediately getting one horrible one, Gareth and Jeff just joking amongst eachother, and of course Erica's snarky comments when someone made a bad call.

It was a usual playthrough until we got to the church, the part Eddie said would 'absolutely blow our minds'.

We all listened in, curious about the next set of our journey as we arrived at what we all didn't know was a huge plottwist.