Chapter 1

10 years have passed, bringing a young girl named Lily into the family.

Cale had isolated himself, only being seen to do work or even observe the knights' training.

The heart of ice, the man with icy eyes, or even the man without feelings were nicknames often used to describe him. Even so, Cale managed with excellence the few affairs of the territory he could handle and that was an irrefutable fact.

Lunch was held in a heavy silence, only the sound of cutlery could be heard, and the four people sitting opposite Cale glanced at him sharply. As always, Cale sat as isolated as possible, slowly eating his food. If he liked it, his face gave no indication of it.

When Cale had finished his food, he put down his cutlery, wiped his mouth with his napkin and spoke.

"It was once again a pleasure to have lunch with you, I shall take my leave. "

As soon as the count nodded, he turned and headed down the corridor. When the door closed, he pretended not to hear the sigh of relief and went on his way, greeting the staff.

When he reached his room he immediately sat down in his desk chair and looked at the work he had left. Pen in hand he reviewed the complaints and requests of the people living in the territory. After half an hour he saw a cup of lemon tea being placed on his table and turned his head, Ron smiled benignly and spoke :

"Young Master, is it not too early to be working? "

Cale looked down at the papers on his desk and took the cup of tea.

"Again Ron, the business of the Henituse territory needs to be done, when I'll become the count I cannot put off my work, the sooner I get used to the job the better I will be for our people. Thank you for the tea. "

He finished by taking a sip from the cup and winced inwardly at the taste.

' Why did Ron insist on giving him tea with lemon and honey?'

Although he suspected that Ron was trying to get a reaction from him.

Ron sighed softly, but kept his usual smile:

"Indeed, young master. I shall take my leave. "

Cale nodded and heard the sound of the door closing, he signed one of the many sheets and moved on to the next. This one was a complaint about the slum, specifically "The Man-Eating Tree." Cale had already tried to find a solution to the problem of poverty, but it would require the creation of jobs in particular, and therefore a lot of thought. As for the tree and the mansion he didn't know what to do with it, the complaint was written by people who didn't even live in the slum, the legends surrounding the Man-Eating Tree must really frighten the people living in the area.

He couldn't just send random people, so he would have to go there himself. Looking at the rest of the work on his desk, he decided to postpone it until the afternoon, although it was against his ethics to do so, as it seemed to weigh on the villagers if they had sent a group complaint.

Quickly putting on his coat, he left his room and headed for the exit. In the great hall he met the butler Hans:

"Hans, tell Ron I'll be gone for the morning, tell him not to look for me."

He continued on his way as Hans bowed:

"Yes young master!" Hans watched him go, smiling, but Cale took no notice and walked out.

|||...|||

Cale walked through the streets of the slum , he had refused to take a carriage and was actively heading towards the tree . Watching the many people sitting on the ground made his heart ache; he wished he could offer the best to the person living here, this was what his mother had taught him: everyone deserves a life