16

Going to the mall with your ex-husband and your son looking like a complete, happy family was... a play pretend thing for you. A little fantasy in your head. Even if it only looks true in other people's eyes, you'd like to think that at that moment, you are in a not-so-broken family. Not to mention that Megumi looked so happy and giggles while peering up at his father. You've never heard him say the word 'dada' again, but you get the feeling that it'll come out of his mouth eventually when he has the chance. Whenever you catch him staring at his father in adoration, your heart warms at the sight. 

You've seen him give that look to Gojo, but he never once called him accidentally his dad. He must've felt that something was wrong even when Gojo took care of him, like what a father should. You don't know why the word 'dada' never slipped out of his tongue whenever he's with Gojo, but you think that maybe, deep down, he knows. Maybe he knows that he's just a family friend, a father figure, but not one who shares the same genetics as him. Either way, you know that Megumi appreciates Gojo as much as you do.

Toji carried Megumi in his arms with a stoic face, and you walked beside him, sneaking a glance at him when you can. Everyone may think he's heartless, scary, and intimidating, but in your eyes, you see that he's caring, trying his best in the things he do, and compassionate... whenever he can. You'd like to think that whatever Toji is doing right now is something he's been wanting for so long, not just because he wants to make up for what he did. Being a father suits him, if only he was brave enough to face his responsibilities that you ended up having.

You don't know why he wanted to go to the mall, and you don't know why you agreed either, but maybe you should cut him some slack, hearing your friend's and sister's words playing in your head. He led the way to a kid's toys store, and your forehead creased, but not saying anything until he stopped in front of the boys' section. You lifted an eyebrow at him, "What are we doing here?" he side-eyed you then gave you a lopsided grin. 

His answer never came, so you folded your arms, watched him say something to the sales clerk standing at the side, and scurried away to probably follow Toji's instructions. While waiting, your eyes caught a little girl holding a pair of wings, and reaching it to her dad. The dad smiled then said something, causing for the little girl to grin so wide that you think her cheeks hurt. He patted her head, and grabbed her hand, carrying the fairy wings that his daughter picked.

Standing beside Toji, you drifted off and try picturing him with a little girl, with your daughter. He seems the type of dad who would scare every boy who tries to go near his princess, and won't let her go out later than eight in the evening. You nibbled on your lower lip, whether it was a boy or a girl, I know he'll give his best when he thinks he failed at being a parent. 

You snapped out of reality when the sales clerk returned with a bicycle with training wheels. Toji watched your reaction as your eyes went wide as saucers at it. The man keeps sales talking but you weren't listening, since you were more focused on Megumi, who was eyeing the bike with newfound curiosity in his eyes. Toji nodded at what the man said, then turned to look at you with an amused face.

"What do you think? Is it okay to buy this for 'Gumi?" 

There it is again. Him saying ''Gumi' made your belly flutter that you had to blink rapidly to mask your feelings. He waited, eyes studying you, as if hearing your opinion about it will put him at ease. "Yeah... that'll be great. He'll love it, for sure." you finally say, which made the corner of his mouth turn up. "We'll take it." he informed the sales clerk who looks more than happy to hear your decision.

You pointed at the bike, crouching down to level Megumi's height. He looks hesitant, as if the bicycle in front of him was a puzzle to piece together. "That's yours, 'Gumi. Look." you grab his hand and let him touch the handles. He tilted his head, and you can almost see the loading icon on his forehead. "Your dad can teach you how to use it." you can feel Toji's gaze on you, so you peered up at him. There was a faint smile on his lips.