The Hanahaki Disease

"I'M FUCKING FINE CAS, LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE YOU FUCKING BITCH!"

Sally kicked back onto the bathroom door as her head laid on the toilet bowl, trying to scare away her concerned sister from the door. Sally was a mean person, but she hated being mean with her sister, but she was an explosion of emotions right now and needed someone to lash out at.

"I'll leave you alone, but I'll be in my room, okay? If you need me." There was a pause before she could hear her walk away, quiet and confused. 

Sally choked back a sob, before laying her head back down against the porcelain, smearing her makeup. 

The bathroom was wrecked, water-soaked bathmat, blood-soaked towels, the tiles and toilet splattered with blood vomit and delicate flower petals, the contents of her cupboards and medicine cabinet thrown onto the floor in anger.

There was a painful tightness to her chest and a queasiness to her stomach, so she quickly moved her sweat soaked back before loudly vomiting again,, bloody bile and more white and pink petals.

She had heard of it in health class, something to make a joke about and then ignore it, because that shit doesn't apply to her, rare shit like that never happens to you or people you know. It's bullshit. 

Sally knew she couldn't tell anyone about this, her Hanahaki, not her sister, not her friends, not Jeremiah.

At the thought of him, she gagged, airway becoming clogged as growing flowers threatened to spew out.

She had fallen in love, with her goddamn best friend,

Her partner in crime. They were so close, and every minute with him was the brightest part of her day, like waking up to sunshine when he smiled. She didn't know when she had fallen for him, or how long it had been since she had, but she knew he'd never love her back. They're friends, the best of friends, that's all that he'd see of her. His large hand would hold hers in platonic love, and nothing more. She sobbed again, at how much she wanted to feel his arms around her right now, even if it hurt. Again, she throws up more and more petals.

Jeremiah knocked on Sally's front door, adjusting his face mask and keeping his hands in his pockets, his fingers cold. He hadn't heard from Sally in the last few days and he was worried. If she was mad at him, she was vocal about it, she wasn't the type to shut herself off unless she was on her period, but that was a week ago.

Cas opened the front door, looking more alert than normal, shifting uncomfortably.

"Shit, everything okay Cas?"

"I don't know, she really wants to be left alone, but I don't know if that includes you? I'd be careful, she's uh? I don't know what's going on with her?" She stepped aside for him as he made his way up the stairs.

Not wanting to see him? She was that upset? He had no idea what was going on, maybe that was the problem. He followed the sound of vomiting to the bathroom and knocked on the door. Vomiting, anger, disappearing, maybe she was pregnant? She broke up with Owen a while ago, but there could be a chance.

Jeremiah felt his lungs constrict at the thought, causing him to cough. Any blood or petals that came up would be stuck to the inside of his mask. He knew Sally thought of him as only her best friend, and he was glad they were so close, but the pain in his chest knew he could never get any closer. But even still, no matter that she'd never love him back, he loved her more than anything and wanted to be there for her.

He knocked on the bathroom door.

"I said leave me alone Cas!," Sally sobbed, kicking the door. 

"Uh, hey, it's me?" 

"Shit. Give me like... Give me a fucking minute!"

There was a mighty big crash of plastic and glass, as he could hear Sally scrambling. The faucet and toilet ran for a moment before Sally opened the door, face wet and makeup smeared with a strained smile.

Jeremaih stared at her, the love of his life, looking like she was struggling to keep it together and he brought her into a hug, Holding her close. He felt the roots dig deeper into his lungs, knowing he'd never ruin their friendship by confessing a love she would not return.

Sally stared up at Jeremiah, the love of her life, looking so concerned, but equally unwell, and she felt her smile crack at his warmth,, yelping as he pulled her into a hug. She felt the roots dig deeper into her lungs, knowing she'd never ruin their friendship by confessing a love he'd never return.