ix. and a government for hire and a combat site

Start from the beginning

"That we're out of a job," Alan replied.

"Heh. Don't you mean extinct?" Ian popped between the two of them and moved up the stairs. Ronnie looked down at the stolen tooth in her hand. "No, but we might be."

・🦖❤︎🦖・

It turned out that Hammond's comedic talent was mostly made up. He had directed them all into a little theater, where he giggled over a video of himself, which he clumsily interacted with.

 Then he sat down. The room grew darker, and slowly, a kitschy kids cartoon started playing.

A cartoon dinosaur was bitten by a mosquito as a little DNA man danced around the screen. Hammond's brilliance dawned on her at the sight of the mosquitos even as she grimaced at the way it was obviously being portrayed to appeal to children and consumer culture. Dinosaurs were not consumer commodities, they shouldn't be marketed with something like this, akin to a sunday cartoon or commercial.

Ronnie shook her head. "It looks like Schoolhouse, Rock," she whispered. This was genetic power unlike anything the world had ever seen, and the screen displayed it like a child's plaything.

"This can't be right," Alan Grant muttered from down the row.

"It isn't," Ian said. He but his lip and ran his thumb over the palm of his hand, repeatedly. "It's just God's creatures doing what they do best."

"And what's that?" Ellie asked, her eyes not leaving the TV screen, which now showed a scientist inserting a needle into a mosquito encased in amber. Hammond was a genius but arrogant as a fucking three year old. Ronnie couldn't help but wonder as the cheesy voice-over continued- how much of the park was designed like this? To market to consumers, and not to correctly contain and care for the new and incredible dangerous animals within the park? They had a T-rex for God's sake. Ronnie shuddered. Would they risk containing it in glass just so it could be seen by snotty five-year-olds with their faces pressed against it?

Ronnie wondered what would happen to the world if that was the case.

The barest bit of a smile played on Ian's face as he answered Ellie's question. "Fucking up," he said.

Amen to that.

Ronnie smiled slightly and leaned over to Ian and whispered, "I thought mathematicians didn't believe in God."

Ronnie caught a flash of teeth as his fingers drummed on the arm rest between them. "Only the bad ones."

The video finished and the ride (which was apparently a ride) lurched to the left as the voice over continued. A bar came down over their laps. "For your own safety!" Hammond called brightly from a few rows behind them.

The ride rode past a window that appeared to be a direct look into the labs that literally made the dinosaurs. The voice-over confirmed it. Ronnie leaned over the seat bar to see better, but then the car continued moving left-

"Can we see the unfertilized eggs?" Ellie yelled, leaned over the bar further than Ronnie was."Wait a minute, How do you interrupt the cellular mitosis! Grant said loudly, pushing up on the restraint bar.