For Better or For Worse

March 31st, 2025

    Jake was waiting on bated breath for the call. Sam had called him days earlier and asked if he and Savannah could take Atlas for a few days because Layla was in heart failure. His brother's subsequent breakdown over the phone had tears burning Jake's eyes. He had agreed, no questions, no terms, that Atlas could stay with him. Worry filled him as the minutes passed. Everyone in his house was down for their nap, Savannah at the store getting extra food. He was afraid to call Sam, afraid to hear his brother's broken and tired voice give the absolute worst possible news he could give. When the silence became too deafening, he called Josh. "Helloooo Brother Jake. How are you on this fine, rainy afternoon?" Josh always had been the embodiment of the sun, his rock in situations like they were in. His chipper voice this time though almost grated Jake's nerves, "Have you heard from Sammy?" Jake didn't often use the pet name anymore, Sam was twenty-five, married, with his third child on the way, but it seemed fitting here, placed as delicate and as softly as he was feeling.

"No, I haven't. Danny hasn't either, I've already called and asked. He's got a lot on his plate, Jake. I-" "He asked me to take Atlas for the time being," he said, cutting off his brother's rambling. Josh fell silent on the phone. If there was one thing about Sam, it was that he was an anxious parent. He loved having the cousins together, but mostly hosted at his house. He had nearly come unglued with dread and anxiety the year prior with Juniper starting school. He wouldn't just have someone take his kids if it wasn't serious. "When Vannah comes home from the store, I think I'm gonna drive out there and check on him." "No, no, stay with her and calm down. I'll drive out and check on everyone. Danny got Juniper last night, said she spent most of the night crying." The pit in Jake's stomach sank lower. What was Atlas going to be like when he got here? How was he going to explain what was going on with his mom? Jake stuck his thumb in his mouth, biting his already short nail. "What do we do, Josh?" "Make sure those kids know how loved they are."

Josh pulled into Sam's driveway, shutting off his car. He stared at the house for a long moment. What was he going to walk into? Layla being dead? What felt like rocks were starting to form in his stomach. His brother, though being the baby, always had such a big, strong, opinionated personality. He was brave, and full of love, and joy, and sarcasm. He braced himself, unsure of what he would walk into as he made his way into the house. Usually Rosie would bark or greet him, but she was nowhere in sight. The house that was usually full of warmth and love was dark and silent. He made his way into the living room to try and find Sam, but to no avail. He saw a figure sitting on the back step, and for the first time in a long time, his brother looked small to him. Small, meek, and defeated, as he picked up the pack of cigarettes from beside him, even though he had long quit smoking. Worry swelled in Josh's chest. He quietly padded down the hall to check on Layla, knowing Sam needed a break. She was laying in bed with Rosie tucked into her right side, and Atlas cradled against her chest. Being pregnant brought a glow, at least it did with all of her pregnancies before this, all of Savannah's, and even Lauren's new pregnancy. But looking at her, she looked dull, almost lifeless, like those Victorian period pieces he liked to watch when they caught consumption. She looked up at him from where she was playing with Atlas's hair as he slept on her chest, dark circles prominent against her gray eyes and pale skin. "Hey, Bub." She croaked, barely above a whisper. He didn't know if it was all she could get out, or that she didn't want to wake her son.

"Need anything?" She smiled, shaking her head, "Sam was in here not long ago. Are you here to pick up Atlas?" "I think so, yeah. I'll get his things together. I saw his seat by the door." She nodded. He walked down the hall, glancing at Sam and deciding to seek his brother out before doing anything else. Sam stiffened as Josh opened the sliding glass door. "It's me," he stated, reaching out to stroke Sam's hair. Sam looked up at him and there was only a shell of who his brother was, but he welcomed Josh's touch. Sam's warm honey eyes have had a glint of mischief in them since he could walk, always up to something, but looking back at Josh, they were almost black. Josh could tell he hadn't slept in days, and by the amount of grease in his hair and how untrimmed his beard was, he could tell he hadn't showered either. "I'm lost, Josh.
She's sick, and is dying, and has to go to the hospital and all I can do is stand by. Stand by idly and watch her wither away like some dying flower. I can't raise three kids alone. What do I tell Juniper and Atlas? How do I look at Maggie and not resent my own baby for taking her mother, the love of my life, away from me?"